Build for my mom

By DastardlyDan
Dec 13, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hey all. I'm giving myself headaches working on my spring upgrades for my computer, so I think it would be a good idea to work through a build from scratch. My mom's old Dell (ugh) desktop is about due for a replacement, and she would like to buy a new one this spring if she has the money to do so. So I will be working on a build for her to get some practice in, and I would appreciate any feedback.

* What are you going to use the PC for?
    She uses her computer for the internet, her Family Tree Maker program, and some light gaming ( type games, sometimes installed). She does not do any video or music editing, watching movies, or playing games.

* How much is your budget?
    She would like to keep it in the $400 to $500 range.

* Where are you located? (a.k.a. fill out your profile)
    Indiana, USA

* Are you willing to buy online?
    Yes. I am a frequent user, but I am willing to consider other online sources.

* Are you going to re-use any parts from an earlier build?
    We will most likely keep her old hard drive.

* Do you need other peripherals like a monitor, keyboard and mouse, among others?
    We will have a keyboard and mouse, and we may keep her old CRT monitor--it still works just fine.

* Have you already bought any parts?

* Do you have an Operating System (OS)?
    I will be providing her with Windows 7 64-bit

* Will you need any aftermarket cooling, such as a CPU\GPU cooler or a watercooling setup?
    Most likely not, but will consider extra fans as needed/if the price allows. Assuming a single case fan plus fan & heatsink combo for processor.

For starters, we most likely will be able to go completely without a video card. A board with halfway decent in-board video will most likely be enough.
  2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 854