Building a Core 2 Duo system, need advice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfram

Hi guys,

Originally, I just wanted to upgrade my Athlon 64 system, add a 3700+ Sandy, overclock it to 4000+ speeds, and get 2 GB of Dual Channel RAM.
But now, I want to get a Core 2 Duo system, because dual core CPU's are the best way to go (and Intel is the best right now)

I want to get these parts:

Core 2 Duo E6300 (possibly OC it to 2 GHZ or more

Need RAM suggestions (1GB) :eek:

Possibly this mobo, I'm open for budget suggestions :

Like I said, IDK if that board is good. It has the I945P chipset, dual channel capability, and just one PCI-E X16 slot (Don't want SLI or Crossfire).
What do you think about this build?
I already have a GPU (X850XT PE), HDD, PSU (FSP 400W 36A), etc.
Probably, when more, cheaper DX10 cards arrive, I'll toss away the X850 :)

If you can suggest something better (but not too expensive please ;)), please feel free to do it.

My P965 Mobo got me up to 2.3Ghz on stock cooling, stock voltages, and supports crossfire fr 5$ less, look into my mobo.

Thanks man. That mobo looks nice, but....... it's ECS. They don't have a very good reputation.
I was thinking about the Biostar Tforce P965 Deluxe, but some people say horrible things about it.
They're scaring me :blackeye:

Can anyone recommend a good, stable, fast & cheap mobo? :)

BTW, that good Crucial RAM appears to be too expensive for me. I think that 1GB dual-channel RAM should be good now. I can always add another stick (or two).

Can you guys recommend good, low-latency DDR2 533 or 667 RAM?

And a final question, is it really worth DDR2 667 over DDR2 533? What about the FSB:RAM ratio??
I'm so ****ing confused with those C2D's :eek: :confused:

Lol, it is ECS, I dont see anything ba quality wise, but it only allows 333 FSB. And i'm selling this mobo, and buying that TForce you mentioned, soon. I put my 667 RAM at 533 Speeds, then daised the FSB to 333 and it made my RAM 667Mhz, 1:1.

DDR2-533=266FSB (Stock)
DDR2-667=333FSB (OC-Mild)
DDR2-800=400FSB (OC)

533/2=266
667/2=333
800/2=400

Ok, thanks. I've got more questions :eek:

1.-I plan to get DDR2 533 RAM, and set it up in dual channel mode. That should give me a 8.4GB/s RAM bandwith, exactly the same as the Core 2's FSB bandwith.
Is there any need to get DDR2 667, which has more loosen timings than 533? Is the extra bandwidth really needed?

2.- (again) Can you guys recommend a good, solid Core 2 mobo for the E6300?

Try a P5NSLI like mine, I've only had it for a few days but its stable and it overclocks well, and if you ever go Nvidia, you can do some SLI.

Thanks guys. I think I won't need a new PSU, my current one is a FSP 400W with 36A on the +12V rail. Should be more than enough :)

Since I'm gonna overclock the E6300 to E6400 speeds or beyond (only the RAM & mobo knows :)), I'll get DDR2 667 RAM. I think I'll get this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220094

THG gave it a pretty nice score. It has lower timings, works with 1.8V (something I really need), and it isn't too expensive. And if I need more RAM, I can always add another kit :)

I'd like the P5nSLI mobo, but it appears that the P965 chipset is faster than the 570SLI one. Plus, I don't want SLI or Crossfire (I don't want a high electricity bill lol)

Maybe I'll get the mobo F1N3ST linked. It appears to be good.
What do you think about this RAM & Mobo combo?

I'd like the p5B too, but they appear to have too many issues :unch:

Anyone have a better suggestion?

Thanks people :wave:

Your set up is lookin pretty good. I see you finally caved in to the C2D pressure! I did too, but got a decent gaming notebook instead of building.

Ocz has lifetime warrenty, thats why i would choose it. I have already utilized it once, saved me $100

I already thought about that OCZ RAM, but it requires 2.2 volts, versus the 1.8V standard. And that Gigabyte mobo I chose ( GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3) can't operate properly with 2.2V RAM.

Do you think that the Patriot RAM is good? I just want to overclock my CPU to E6400 speeds (more would be useless, the x850 card would be the bottleneck), so maybe that RAM would be good.

I also liked the A-Data RAM, but IDK if A-Data is a good company.

What do you guys think?

Corsair baby

Have you read on the front page to what they OC'd it to. An extra 200MHz and it was only ValueSelect they also have a life time warranty. I have sent in some DDR 400 (200 /\ &\/) had it OC'd DDR440, wich is high for DDR(1). They sent me a replacement only days later.

Corsair and you can't go wrong :)

This RAM has a lower latency than the Patriot kit u posted wolfram and is great for the price. Plus, Crucial is a high-quality brand so no worries there.
Also, this mobo is a great one. Has four RAM slots plus it's an ASUS so it's a quality one. It's around $30 more than the ECS or the Biostar ones (which are crap by the way) but it's worth it. It's also an excellent overclocker and is even recommended by AnandTech in their review here. In the end, the choice is yours. So pick something that is reliable enough for OCing.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
This RAM has a lower latency than the Patriot kit u posted wolfram and is great for the price. Plus, Crucial is a high-quality brand so no worries there.
Also, this mobo is a great one. Has four RAM slots plus it's an ASUS so it's a quality one. It's around $30 more than the ECS or the Biostar ones (which are crap by the way) but it's worth it. It's also an excellent overclocker and is even recommended by AnandTech in their review here. In the end, the choice is yours. So pick something that is reliable enough for OCing.
How can you say something is crap if you dont own it. The BIOSTAR beat out the ASUS and all others except Gigabyte DQ6, which is 200$. And the ECS is good, for up to 333FSB Witch is the max allowed on the board.

Thanks guys.

I really liked that Crucial RAM, but it still works with 2.2V. It's difficult to find good, cheap 1.8V RAM. That's why I chose the Patriot. If only that Crucial would work with 1.8V.....

And BTW, I think that the Gigabyte mobo I chose it's a little better than the Asus one Rage, because it has the newest P965 chipset, also, it's an excellent overclocker :) Also, THG gave it a very good score. They managed to overclock the Core 2 Duo E6400 to more than 3GHZ, and it even challenged the mighty Core 2 Extreme!! With air cooling!!

Thanks guys :wave:

Change of plans boys :)

I just checked the excellent Techspot's midrange PC buying guide, and I discovered that the XMS RAM is just $132!!!!! No more Patriot RAM, I'm gonna get the XMS DDR2-800. Who cares about its timings! I can always try to lower them ;)

I believe that this PC will rock!!! :)
Way faster than my current (fast already) setup :)

You don't own one. Your just listening to what people say. It BEAT THE S3, is that hard to understand, learn to read, it was MORE stable then the S3, and allowed for 50Mhzx7 MORE than the S3.

No flaming guys, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Ultimately it is up to Wolfram to decide what components he will buy. All we can do if offer our input and experience(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back