Meet the REV-9 laptop: a monster with a 64-core CPU, full liquid cooling system, and a...

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! If you find raw power is the most important element in a laptop and care little about size, weight, looks, and noise, then the REV-9 could be for you. Its industrial design isn't going to compete with the Razer Blade when it comes to sleekness, but it does pack a 64-core AMD Epyc CPU, a full liquid cooling system, and a desktop-class RTX 4080.

Made by Chinese laptop company Zhanjiang Xinjuneng, the REV-9 is the first laptop to feature a 64-core CPU. It comes in two configurations: one with a Zen 3-based Epyc 7713 CPU and the other with a Zen 4 Epyc 9554, each presumably featuring different motherboards as these chips use separate sockets.

These server processors are designed to run hot and heavy (up to 360W TDP), one of the reasons why they're not used in consumer laptops - they're also very expensive. Zhanjiang Xinjuneng tries to address this by integrating what's said to be the world's first built-in split liquid cooling system into the device, complete with an in-built high-pressure water pump and water tank. It also packs a large copper radiator, according to PCOnline.

It's claimed that the laptop can achieve a Cinebench R23 result of 49,000 using the 225W Epyc 7713, so that cooling system seems to be working – at least on the lower-power chip.

Check out: The Best Gaming Laptops 2023

Away from the CPU, the REV-9 also packs an RTX 4080. It's defined as desktop-class, suggesting this could be a custom-designed desktop card – the company says it's 15% faster than the mobile RTX 4090. There's also mention of being able to upgrade the card to the unreleased and still-unconfirmed RTX 4080 Super. The Super card is reportedly launching on January 31, following the launch of the RTX 4070 Super and RTX 4070 Ti Super.

The laptop's graphics card will have its work cut out, pushing pixels around on a 17.3-inch 2.5K screen with a 240Hz refresh rate offering 100% coverage of the sRGB color gamut. Or you can opt for a 4K 120Hz display.

The REV-9 features a 3.5-inch separate screen for showing stats such as temperatures, too, and you also get dual 10 Gbit Ethernet cards and an IPMI 2.0 interface.

All that desktop-like hardware means you're unlikely to be walking into a café with the REV-9 tucked under your arm, ready to sit down and work on your novel. It measures a hefty 420mm (16.5 inches) by 325mm (12.79 inches) by 46mm (1.8 inches). No word on how much it weighs, but expect this laptop to give your biceps a workout.

The REV-9 will be available exclusively from December 19 on Taobao in colors including gold, silver, rose gold, blue, purple, and red. No word on price, but considering the Epyc 9554 costs around $9,000, it's not going to be cheap.

Permalink to story.

I 1st tho it was some kind of a new thing from the US : the bulletproof laptop :p ( yea sry sry it was easy )

Why all the hate? Yeah it's expensive and ugly, but the specs in that form factor are sick AF. They'll probably sell less than a thousand of those, maybe not even half that, but for very specific professional scenarios, it may have some real utility.

We now have Musks skynet - but for modelling etc in field - begs the electricity question

I wonder what the USA defense has for it's most powerful take anywhere device
In future handling a 1000 drones etc+ 100 other inputs

I don't see how this is classified as a laptop. I doubt there's any battery built in. Even if so, I highly doubt it is able to handle the power required under load, and given there is probably not much room for a big battery.

Why all the hate? Yeah it's expensive and ugly, but the specs in that form factor are sick AF. They'll probably sell less than a thousand of those, maybe not even half that, but for very specific professional scenarios, it may have some real utility.

Because it is d0mb...
What specific professional scenario can you do with it, for a mere 18 minutes...?

Matter of fact, whoever made this should be smacked across the face for this level of tryharding.

I am convinced that China has a gov't-sponsored program to develop stupid items solely for the American market. Just look at the stuff sold on Alibaba. The least impact is separating a fool from their money; the worst is severe injury or death. Look at the reviews of woodworking "(Insert number here) in 1 Tool" on YT. Some of these things are deadly with high-speed blades/cutters and made of cheap materials.

Even with the dual cooling, this "laptop" will probably overheat and burn down a house, like the electric scooters do.

It's all part of the plot. I recommend buying more tinfoil.......

These pictures are clearly AI-generated. Are we sure this laptop even actually exists?? Hello, TechSpot? You okay?

Being as it's on EVERY tech site right now, yeah, pretty sure it's not just some hoax but if it is then it's one that has fooled everybody.

Certainly doesn't cost that in China. That's just, multiple piled on tariffs if you wanted to buy one in the US. Aside from which, our corporations, military and military contractors don't give a damn how much anything costs as long as it does what they want. Neither do THEIR's. Even so, it's still a pretty ridiculous product at a pretty ridiculous price with very little chance of ever selling more than ten units, if that, but hey. I guess they will still have a footprint on google in twenty years just like the 1994 Thinkpad does now. What a waste of resources that could have been used to create something that was actually useful. LOL

Yes it's a big, ridiculous, expensive beast of a unit... but I kind of like it. "Cyberdeck" vibes with a lot of power.
I am sure in the right hands, someone can make a lot of difference with one. I there is many of those type who will buy one maybe it will make it in the market.

Back