Building a gaming computer

abe10tiger

I need help in building a computer mostly for gaming use. I'm not really good with what parts I need to buy so I need your help really bad.

Also, my budget is kinda tight so could you guys help me find parts that give great performances but aren't that expensive?

I live in the Philippines so we'll be using my currency (1 US. Dollar = 43.27 Pesos)

So what if my budget is around $700 dollars,(30,289 pesos) what would I be able to build with that kind of money?

Thanks in advance! :)

I would imagine the best thing you can do right about now is tell us where you'd like to shop, and provide us with links of online retailers, we can then look using places you will actually use to provide you with a system you can actually get.

Prices will vary massively like they do for us in the UK.

Check out the TechSpot build guides; they'll give you a great idea of what you can get for your budget. You will probably have to go for an AMD machine though, since it'd fit your budget better.

I would imagine the best thing you can do right about now is tell us where you'd like to shop, and provide us with links of online retailers, we can then look using places you will actually use to provide you with a system you can actually get.

Prices will vary massively like they do for us in the UK.

Here's one. http://pcx.com.ph/ That's the closest shop to our home. But I'm still searching for more.

Check out the TechSpot build guides; they'll give you a great idea of what you can get for your budget. You will probably have to go for an AMD machine though, since it'd fit your budget better.

Thanks for the advice! I'd be sure to check it out! :)

So guys, anything from the link?

Hey abe, here is what I put together which is slightly over budget but should give you a place start.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 925 - ₱ 6,150.00 - May have to downgrade to an Athlon II if it's to expensive, but personally I think this should work fine for a budget gaming CPU. Also the generic HSF that comes with your CPU should be enough at stock settings, unless where you game will consistently be 30C+.

Motherboard - MSI 870-G45 - ₱4,200.00 - I would prefer the 800 series chipset but couldn't find any ATX sized boards with it.

RAM - Corsair 2 x 2GB XMS3 1333 DDR3 - ₱3,480.00 - Pretty sure that this is the RAM they are selling.

GPU - Inno3D GTX 460 768MB 192-bit - ₱6,550.00 - This GTX 460 should work great for most games up to 1680x1050 resolution, you will likely need to lower settings on some more demanding titles but overall it should serve you well. Regarding Inno3D reliability I can't comment as I have no experience with them.

Optical Drive - Lite-On 24x IHAS-524 - ₱1,030.00 - Since this is a retail drive you won't have to worry about SATA cable.

HDD - 500gb Western Digital - ₱2,000.00 - PCX has a limited selection of hard drives imo, but most appear to be Caviar Blue drives which should work alright for you. Just make sure to pick up a SATA one and not IDE.

PSU - SilverStone ST50F 500W - ₱3,600.00 - I have no experience with SilverStone but according to TweakTowns review it's pretty solid. Here's the Newegg link with more information.

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium OEM - ₱5,300.00 - Doesn't specify if it's 32-bit or 64-bit, just make sure you get the 64-bit OEM copy. You can of course buy full retail which will give you both but that appears to be another ~ ₱1,000.

Total: ₱32,310 not sure if tax is included or not in those prices.

Note I didn't add in a case, and recommend you just look at some mid tower ones you like and link them here. I'd imagine most should serve you well enough for a budget gaming build.

I have to say that the PCX site is a pain in the butt to navigate and the lack of info on some products is frustrating. Oh well, this should give you a general idea of what to look for and the prices of items. Maybe others have different alternatives, hope this helps out :) .

PS: Did you need a new monitor or were you reusing your old one? If you're reusing, what resolution is it?

Hey abe, here is what I put together which is slightly over budget but should give you a place start.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 925 - ₱ 6,150.00 - May have to downgrade to an Athlon II if it's to expensive, but personally I think this should work fine for a budget gaming CPU. Also the generic HSF that comes with your CPU should be enough at stock settings, unless where you game will consistently be 30C+.

Motherboard - MSI 870-G45 - ₱4,200.00 - I would prefer the 800 series chipset but couldn't find any ATX sized boards with it.

RAM - Corsair 2 x 2GB XMS3 1333 DDR3 - ₱3,480.00 - Pretty sure that this is the RAM they are selling.

GPU - Inno3D GTX 460 768MB 192-bit - ₱6,550.00 - This GTX 460 should work great for most games up to 1680x1050 resolution, you will likely need to lower settings on some more demanding titles but overall it should serve you well. Regarding Inno3D reliability I can't comment as I have no experience with them.

Optical Drive - Lite-On 24x IHAS-524 - ₱1,030.00 - Since this is a retail drive you won't have to worry about SATA cable.

HDD - 500gb Western Digital - ₱2,000.00 - PCX has a limited selection of hard drives imo, but most appear to be Caviar Blue drives which should work alright for you. Just make sure to pick up a SATA one and not IDE.

PSU - SilverStone ST50F 500W - ₱3,600.00 - I have no experience with SilverStone but according to TweakTowns review it's pretty solid. Here's the Newegg link with more information.

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium OEM - ₱5,300.00 - Doesn't specify if it's 32-bit or 64-bit, just make sure you get the 64-bit OEM copy. You can of course buy full retail which will give you both but that appears to be another ~ ₱1,000.

Total: ₱32,310 not sure if tax is included or not in those prices.

Note I didn't add in a case, and recommend you just look at some mid tower ones you like and link them here. I'd imagine most should serve you well enough for a budget gaming build.

I have to say that the PCX site is a pain in the butt to navigate and the lack of info on some products is frustrating. Oh well, this should give you a general idea of what to look for and the prices of items. Maybe others have different alternatives, hope this helps out :) .

PS: Did you need a new monitor or were you reusing your old one? If you're reusing, what resolution is it?

Thank you for that sooo much! IT sure will help me a lot. Although, I'm searching for other computer retail shops that offer a lot more parts that are cheaper too.

I'll try searching for other retail stores that offer more and cheaper parts.

And about the monitor.... I already have one but I'm not sure about the resolution yet.. I'm gonna have to check it out.

I'll keep yah all posted! Thanks for the help! :)

Back