Building a gaming PC, need advice

1. I put together a pc on amazon are these parts good....
    Cpu: Amd Fx-9370
    Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+
    Gpu: Sapphire Radeon Vapor-X HD 7950
    Psu: Corsair RM Series 850 Watt
    Data Drive: Kingston HyperX 3K 120 GB SSD
    Hard Drive: WD Blue 1 TB
    Case: Corsair Carbide Series 500r...or a Fractal Design Arc Midi R2
    Cpu Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H80i

My Budget is under $1500
  2. Spykezxp

Spykezxp TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 99   +12

Doesn't look like a bad setup but you still need RAM and I would suggest a DVD or Bluray drive. Also, do you have an operating system, monitor(s), mouse and keyboard already, or will you need those also? You could save money by shopping around (if you have that option - example NewEgg / Tigerdirect / etc). You could also save some money by looking at alternative items.
  3. theswaggermasta

theswaggermasta Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Woops forgot about the ram because I already have 16 gb or corsair 1600mhz ram
  4. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TechSpot Addict Posts: 865   +167

A couple things,
    As someone already pointed out - do you have your peripherals (Mouse,Monitor,Keyboard,OS).
    Some things I'd change:
    PSU: Your current pick is overkill. I'd go with something like a 600W or 650W. Some good brands are Corsair,Antec,Seasonic and OCZ.
    CPU / MOBO: I would probably go the intel route as it will provide a better bang for your buck. Something like the Intel Core i5-4670K and Asus Z87-Plus would fit in pretty good here.
    SSD: The one you picked should work fine. But, I'd lean more toward Samsung's 840 series.
    HDD: Pick up the WD Black instead of Blue.
    Case: This is something only really you can decide.
    CPU Cooling: I would omit this from the build unless you really plan to achieve some high OC's. Otherwise, you'd be better off picking up a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo.
    JC713, hellokitty[hk] and slh28 like this.
  5. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] I'm a TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,255   +110

Shop around for the 7950 there's all sorts of discounts on them all the time. Occasionally you'll see one for ~$180 after MIR, which is quite good.
  6. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Pretty much agree with everything Blkfx1 said, except putting OCZ in the list of good PSU brands. Also Corsair's RM series is new and hence won't be discounted, there might be better deals to be found.

I wouldn't go for a small capacity non-pro Samsung 840, the Crucial M500 is very good for the price.
    JC713 likes this.
  7. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TechSpot Addict Posts: 865   +167

Lol. Funny thing, I thought about why I added it right after I had already entered it. I usually recommend 4 different brands when it comes to PSU's and I couldn't remember the 4th. So, OCZ popped in my head and I said w.e.
  8. theswaggermasta

theswaggermasta Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

9. hellokitty[hk]

I'd pick a 4670k too at this price.
  10. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

A 4770K is $15 more expensive which is exactly 1% of your budget. I'm not sure which review sites you're looking at but the FX-9370 is definitely not faster at gaming.
  11. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,088   +723

And the 4770K has a 84W TDP while the 9370 has a 220W TDP.

As for an SSD, go for an OCZ Vertex 450 or OCZ Vector or Samsung 840 Pro.
  12. hellokitty[hk]

And the 4670k is 100 double cheeses cheaper

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.