Building a gaming PC, opinions?

Hi guys,

I've searched all across the internet (for what I can tell, anyway) to see if there are any incompatibilities/power issues/etc. for the prospective PC I would like to build, and so far have come across none. I'm still yet to fully understand the differences in PSU, but I don't think I'm too far off. Could you guys give me an opinion of my future (2/3 weeks before I build) set up and tell me if I'm going wrong anywhere? Or if I need any further cooling?

Case : Thermaltake Level 10 GT / Corsair 600T White
Processor : AMD FX Bulldozer 8-Core 3.3GhZ (when available) OR AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.7GhZ
Motherboard : Asus Crosshair V Formula
Graphics Card : 2 x 2048MB Sapphire ATI Radeon HD6950 set up in Crossfire OR 2 x 1024MB Sapphire ATI Radeon HD6870 (also set up in Crossfire)
PSU : Corsair 750/850w
HDD : Seagate Momentus XT 500GB SATA Hybrid
RAM : Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB 1333MhZ)
CD/DVD : LiteOn BR Re-writer

I'm also aware that this is my first thread/post/involvement on this board, at which point I would like to introduce myself and say hello to everyone.

Thank you.

It will take a while for AMD to release their FX Series CPUs. Could you give us your maximum budget for the build.

Oh, I thought the FX Processors were due to be released 4th Quarter 2011? Never mind, heard that through the grapevine of the internet.

Maximum budget would be around the £1100-1200 mark at the absolute limit. I originally had a Corsair 600T (?) White case in mind with the AMD Phenom II X6 3.7GhZ Black Edition if that makes any difference aside from price. I plan on overclocking, so I would use a Corsair H60 to cool the processor, or is something like a Noctua NH-D14 Processor fan more viable?

I dont recommended getting two video card right off the bat, take that $500 or so and get a GTX 580 or save some money and get 1 HD6970, then in a few months to a year get another.

Back