TechSpot

Building a gaming PC, opinions?

By alfermael
Oct 2, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi guys,

I've searched all across the internet (for what I can tell, anyway) to see if there are any incompatibilities/power issues/etc. for the prospective PC I would like to build, and so far have come across none. I'm still yet to fully understand the differences in PSU, but I don't think I'm too far off. Could you guys give me an opinion of my future (2/3 weeks before I build) set up and tell me if I'm going wrong anywhere? Or if I need any further cooling?

Case : Thermaltake Level 10 GT / Corsair 600T White
    Processor : AMD FX Bulldozer 8-Core 3.3GhZ (when available) OR AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.7GhZ
    Motherboard : Asus Crosshair V Formula
    Graphics Card : 2 x 2048MB Sapphire ATI Radeon HD6950 set up in Crossfire OR 2 x 1024MB Sapphire ATI Radeon HD6870 (also set up in Crossfire)
    PSU : Corsair 750/850w
    HDD : Seagate Momentus XT 500GB SATA Hybrid
    RAM : Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB 1333MhZ)
    CD/DVD : LiteOn BR Re-writer

I'm also aware that this is my first thread/post/involvement on this board, at which point I would like to introduce myself and say hello to everyone.

Thank you.

2. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,288   +7

It will take a while for AMD to release their FX Series CPUs. Could you give us your maximum budget for the build.

3. alfermael

alfermael TS Rookie Topic Starter

Oh, I thought the FX Processors were due to be released 4th Quarter 2011? Never mind, heard that through the grapevine of the internet.

Maximum budget would be around the £1100-1200 mark at the absolute limit. I originally had a Corsair 600T (?) White case in mind with the AMD Phenom II X6 3.7GhZ Black Edition if that makes any difference aside from price. I plan on overclocking, so I would use a Corsair H60 to cool the processor, or is something like a Noctua NH-D14 Processor fan more viable?

4. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,129

I dont recommended getting two video card right off the bat, take that $500 or so and get a GTX 580 or save some money and get 1 HD6970, then in a few months to a year get another.

5. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,288   +7

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.