Building a Mid ranged gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to build a gaming PC to use for most MMORPG's that I am playing...I don't have a huge amount to spend, but I want it to be good. Any suggestions? I was thinking about going with an intel chip set because the core 2 duo's are starting to shine a little, but since AMD are lowering their prices I don't know what would be sufficient for what I need.

What kind of price range are we looking at here? Recently my friend made me a good mid-ranged gaming PC for $490 Canadian, and that's with an unnecessarily large memory (320 gb). I can give you the specs if you think that's an OK price.

Give me a budget and I'll get you the best configuration you can get for that price. And yes, the Core 2 Duos are the best CPUs out there by far, so do consider that. They're pretty competitively priced too, so no problems there.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane - $65.00
Biostar tForce 550 ATX AM2 Motherboard - $78.99
Corsair ValueSelect 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2-667 RAM - $64.99
Seagate Barracuda 160GB SATA-2 HDD - $56.99
eVGA e-GeForce 7600 GT 256MB -$109.99

Other:
ASUS 80mm CPU Cooler - $8.99
Apevia Turbo-Link 500W Power Supply - $39.99

Total Price (With shipping) - $438.22 ( This is without the case, monitor, mouse & keyboard, so keep that in mind )

This a good build that one of my friends made on this forum awhile back, it's a cheap price but the parts are very good for what you'll need ( Especially since you're only playing MMORPGS )

But you should get a minimum-maximum budget so we can get a detail on how much you want to spend ;)

I was thinking about going with an intel chip set because the core 2 duo's are starting to shine a little

I agree, but most newer intel chips are pretty expensive compared to the cheap ( but really good ) AMD cards... Plus AMD is alot better anyways :haha:

Thanks for all the help you guys are giving me! I was thinking around 800-1000 $...I don't play all MMORPG, but that is mostly what i play...i recently bought supreme commander and it would be nice to play that. Yea, as far as mouse and all that that isn't a problem...working at Best Buy give you a pretty good discount on stuff like that so i shouldn't have a problem there. Thanks again for all the help guys!

Not a bad build there...couple personal choices:

I'd go with a thermaltake PSU, Same ball park on the price (just a personal preference, thats what i use and its never been a problem)

No need for a special heatsink fan. Get a full retail processor and it will come with a suitable Fan. Doesn't sound like your gonna do anything that will tax your CPU that much anyhow. Spend the Extra $$$ on getting AMD X2 4400+ (AM2 socket).

Also wouldnt go with the GeForce 8800. yes its nice, but agian, for what your doing, its over kill. The 7600GT will do ya just fine and only cost $125. I play MMORPGS as well as several offline games and use this card. Havent found a problem with it yet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131013
Good MoBo, lots of slots and available SLI so as games increase you can add another Video card. Very solid and works with the Corsair ram recommened above (again, stuff i use myself)

Cant really comment on the HD, pretty redly available and cheap, I use Western Digital, but have no knowledge of Seagate.

Just a few other opinions for ya.

Also wouldnt go with the GeForce 8800. yes its nice, but agian, for what your doing, its over kill. The 7600GT will do ya just fine and only cost $125. I play MMORPGS as well as several offline games and use this card. Havent found a problem with it yet.

I agree on this part, The 8800 is abit of a overkill for most games released these days ( only 1 I know that actually supports DX10 - BioShock, and it doesn't even do anything more that a DX9 can't :D ) I forgot to change that part out because my friend was at my house the other day screwing with my list to see which would make it a decent DX10 build for cheap, I'll change it later on :D

Good call...i forget about DX10 cause i dont have any interest in Vista.

If you are considering using vista in the new system then a DX10 card is a good choice, so you can fully utilize the Aero Package and such. Also on that not, from what I have read, Vista is a memory hog and you may want to bump up to the 2GB(2x1GB) sticks shouldn't be a whole lot more expensive, maybe $50 the what was recommended earlier.

Good call...i forget about DX10 cause i dont have any interest in Vista.

You can still have DX10 without vista, it's just pointless to have it :haha:

Vista will be "ok..." when it gets fixed up and stop having the constant bugs and errors every 2 miliseconds :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back