TechSpot

Building a new computer

By evilsmith
Apr 18, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi, so I'm planning to build another computer for a project / friend and as always I have trouble picking the right parts and finding the best deals (on Newegg/Tigerdirect). So hopefully you guys can help me look for some recommendations on what to buy. Anyways once I get the time I'll post what I've been looking at so far and make a list. Thanks in advance.

* What are you going to use the PC for?
    Gaming [Starcraft II (High Quality)]/ General Computer use.

* How much is your budget?
    $600 Max (Excluding Tax)

* Are you willing to buy online?
    Only Newegg and Tigerdirect

* Are you going to re-use any parts from an earlier build?
    No.

* Do you need other peripherals like a monitor, keyboard and mouse, among others?
    No.

* Have you already bought any parts?
    No.

* Do you have an Operating System (OS)?
    Yes. Windows 7 32bit

2. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,378   +127

3. evilsmith

evilsmith TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 84

4. hellokitty[hk]

Hmm...I think I wasn't thinking properly when I came up with that.
    Though I think the Antec VP-450 450W ATX 12V v2.3 Power Supply should be ok, but you'll want second opinions.
    And the corsair powersupply discount is actually only 10%, but the RAM is still $10.

5. evilsmith

Thanks for the suggestion. I was wondering if anyone else could give me suggestions on the PSU?

6. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,172   +37

This link came from one of our trusted members with the latest update March 9th of this year. I think it would be a good idea to see what power you need with your components. By the way, hellokitty[hk] is one of the best here when it comes to system build advice.

Link: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

7. hellokitty[hk]

I'd guess that the calculator would calculate over 450w.
    If you could stretch your budget just a little bit more...up to $60 for the powersupply.

8. evilsmith

Thank you for the link. I'll look into it more deeply when I get the chance. Also I've had helped from hellokitty[hk] for every single one of my builds so I really appreciate it.

9. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,291   +25

This would be sufficient. You'd be pulling about 200-250W from the PSU, upto a maximum of 300W. The EA430 can handle it just fine.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.