TechSpot

Building a new computer

By evilsmith
Apr 18, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi, so I'm planning to build another computer for a project / friend and as always I have trouble picking the right parts and finding the best deals (on Newegg/Tigerdirect). So hopefully you guys can help me look for some recommendations on what to buy. Anyways once I get the time I'll post what I've been looking at so far and make a list. Thanks in advance.

* What are you going to use the PC for?
    Gaming [Starcraft II (High Quality)]/ General Computer use.

* How much is your budget?
    $600 Max (Excluding Tax)

* Are you willing to buy online?
    Only Newegg and Tigerdirect

* Are you going to re-use any parts from an earlier build?
    No.

* Do you need other peripherals like a monitor, keyboard and mouse, among others?
    No.

* Have you already bought any parts?
    No.

* Do you have an Operating System (OS)?
    Yes. Windows 7 32bit

2. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 3,430   +143

3. evilsmith

evilsmith TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 84

4. hellokitty[hk]

Hmm...I think I wasn't thinking properly when I came up with that.
    Though I think the Antec VP-450 450W ATX 12V v2.3 Power Supply should be ok, but you'll want second opinions.
    And the corsair powersupply discount is actually only 10%, but the RAM is still $10.

5. evilsmith

Thanks for the suggestion. I was wondering if anyone else could give me suggestions on the PSU?

6. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +69

This link came from one of our trusted members with the latest update March 9th of this year. I think it would be a good idea to see what power you need with your components. By the way, hellokitty[hk] is one of the best here when it comes to system build advice.

Link: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

7. hellokitty[hk]

I'd guess that the calculator would calculate over 450w.
    If you could stretch your budget just a little bit more...up to $60 for the powersupply.

8. evilsmith

Thank you for the link. I'll look into it more deeply when I get the chance. Also I've had helped from hellokitty[hk] for every single one of my builds so I really appreciate it.

9. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,429   +27

This would be sufficient. You'd be pulling about 200-250W from the PSU, upto a maximum of 300W. The EA430 can handle it just fine.