Building a PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone512

I'm wanting to build a cheap gaming PC, unfortunately I can only spend around $500-600, I might use a CD-ROM from an old computer, and I have a mouse and keyboard I can use - I do have a spare monitor but I'll probably replace it with a different monitor later on.

And yeah, I do have an OS which I could use on it but it's Windows XP Home Edition.

What do you recommend?

I would go with an AMD build based on the Dragon Platform. But, you can also build a decent Core i5 PC around the same price.

I would love to elaborate, but alt-tabbing at work on these forums is better than going through hardware lists at newegg.

The processor choice is good. The motherboard is good too if you don't plan on using a CrossFireX setup. With that motherboard you can also attempt to unlock a 4th core in the X3. I would skip the cheapy graphics card and go with an ATI to round off your AMD build. I would go right up to a Radeon HD 5770. Depending on what else you need for your build, this can be done while still sticking with your budget.

Lol, see? I don't know much about hard drives, and yes I am building a desktop--I wouldn't even think about making a gaming laptop...

I didn't read the title of the drive, I was looking at it's specs.

That wouldn't be bad at all. It's really funny though, your link shows the used drives being MORE expensive. lol.

Just remember to get the best parts that you can for the money. Do your research, search for reviews, professional and user. Building your own computer is a TON of fun, but you don't want to get a part that you aren't sure of. You do NOT want to regret getting a part that you can't be happy with.

I think you should stick with the PSU I recommended. And no need to shell out $10 extra on that ASUS card.

Yeah, swap the PSU that Ritwik7 added and switch the Asus Video card to the Sapphire one, and you've got a decent build. Should put you right around 650 total.

The thing about power supplies is that it is one of the MOST important pieces in a computer, so you have to make sure that it'll be a good one.

You could save a little cash by getting one of the Antec cases which include a power supply such as:

Antec Sonata III 500 $109.99

Antec NSK 4480 II $69.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back