Building a "rig"

Gareis

My brother messaged me asking for my expertise, but I don't deal a lot with hardware.

[FONT=Verdana]He needs it for compiling, it won't be used for gaming.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Required:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]A minimum of 8 gigs RAM[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]CPU[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Motherboard[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]RAM[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]HDD[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]PSU[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Case[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]He is open to integrated graphics.[/FONT]

$600-$700 budget.

I told him I didn't know much about GPU/CPU/MB mixin' n matchin' and that I would ask around.

Where should he start?

He has mouse, keyboard,monitor etc. He will most likely be running W7 or W8.

He has a $600 price budget, updated original thread with more details.

I5 3570K, Z77 mobo, 8GB RAM, 500-1000GB HDD, generic case, 400W PSU ... should be doable for <$600.

I5 3570K, Z77 mobo, 8GB RAM, 500-1000GB HDD, generic case, 400W PSU ... should be doable for <$600.
I think he should wait for Haswell, he will benefit from the integrated graphics. Plus, he doesnt need a 3570K if he is just coding, overclock really doesnt effect those programs. I think he should up the RAM if he wants, compiling uses a lot of RAM. But if he was gaming, the K CPU is not a question.

Thanks so much for the advice, we managed to put together a decent one :)
What parts did you guys end up picking? Others with the same requirements may be interested to know, and that's the purpose of a forum, to spread knowledge and hopefully avoid asking/answering the same question repeatedly. Advice is free, but memories are long, so if you don't follow up on your posts, eventually nobody will be interested in answering.

This happens quite often here, people asking for help even though they have their mind set on what they'll purchase eventually. Its like they want confirmation that they have a superior brain.

Back