TechSpot

Building an MP3 Player, how would I do this

By Sir_Lancelot
Dec 23, 2005
  1. I was bored googling some stuff and I thought, Hey people build their own electronic equipment all the time these days, I wonder if anyone builds their own MP3 Players, well I looked around no real luck finding some directions to building one, much less ones that are understandable, So I was wondering, anyone know where I could find directions for building my own portable MP3 Player, it dosent need a screen or anything fancy, just something that can hold about 20-30 songs and play em in order, and putting in a way to skip backwards and forwards though the songs

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Define "build". Do you want to do it from scratch or just buy some kit where you screw the bits together?

Build from scratch.. This is what I went to university for :)

First the components:
    One would choose a CPU with enough power to decode MP3 files. Then the interface chips for storage and USB (if needed), storage itself (a flash chip or a small hard drive), some RAM (if needed). Then the smaller bits like power supply, connectors, buttons and auxilary capasitors/resistors etc. Write the software.

After you have your components and you have made the schematic, you solder all that stuff togehter (preferrably on breadboard or a PCB) and fit in a box.

This is a project in the scale of B.Sc or M.Sc thesis in Computer Engineering :)

3. xohalyssa

xohalyssa TS Rookie

God.. your a genius. < however you spell it

4. 0blivious

0blivious TS Rookie Posts: 34

im putting computer engineering on my list of possible majors...

5. doomsweek

doomsweek TS Rookie Posts: 39

6. Spike

Spike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,168

If you don't want to design and just want to solder bits into a board and screw it all together then here's a link for you (as recently featured in a multipart workshop in PCFormat magazine...

http://www.myplace.nu/mp3/

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.