Building an MP3 Player, how would I do this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir_Lancelot

I was bored googling some stuff and I thought, Hey people build their own electronic equipment all the time these days, I wonder if anyone builds their own MP3 Players, well I looked around no real luck finding some directions to building one, much less ones that are understandable, So I was wondering, anyone know where I could find directions for building my own portable MP3 Player, it dosent need a screen or anything fancy, just something that can hold about 20-30 songs and play em in order, and putting in a way to skip backwards and forwards though the songs

Define "build". Do you want to do it from scratch or just buy some kit where you screw the bits together?

Build from scratch.. This is what I went to university for :)

First the components:
One would choose a CPU with enough power to decode MP3 files. Then the interface chips for storage and USB (if needed), storage itself (a flash chip or a small hard drive), some RAM (if needed). Then the smaller bits like power supply, connectors, buttons and auxilary capasitors/resistors etc. Write the software.

After you have your components and you have made the schematic, you solder all that stuff togehter (preferrably on breadboard or a PCB) and fit in a box.

This is a project in the scale of B.Sc or M.Sc thesis in Computer Engineering :)

Nodsu said:
Define "build". Do you want to do it from scratch or just buy some kit where you screw the bits together?

Build from scratch.. This is what I went to university for :)

First the components:
One would choose a CPU with enough power to decode MP3 files. Then the interface chips for storage and USB (if needed), storage itself (a flash chip or a small hard drive), some RAM (if needed). Then the smaller bits like power supply, connectors, buttons and auxilary capasitors/resistors etc. Write the software.

After you have your components and you have made the schematic, you solder all that stuff togehter (preferrably on breadboard or a PCB) and fit in a box.

This is a project in the scale of B.Sc or M.Sc thesis in Computer Engineering :)

God.. your a genius. < however you spell it

If you don't want to design and just want to solder bits into a board and screw it all together then here's a link for you (as recently featured in a multipart workshop in PCFormat magazine...

http://www.myplace.nu/mp3/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back