Building computer boot up problems

Hello,

I have a tower just recently bought all the parts from newegg and was building the tower for the last 3 days. I had everything put in as it should be and initially it stayed on but no image was portraying on the monitor. A friend explained I was using the wrong port to portray image as it should be through the video card I should be connecting it, but after troubleshooting the problem initially, I removed RAM and put it back in but computer now turns on for a second then right off. I hear and see the fans running, the dvd drive spinning, and the lights go on but then it shuts right off, after another 2-3 seconds it turns on again and then after another second turns right back off in an endless cycle until I turn it off completely and unplug it.

Not sure what the next steps are or if I should return the moba for an exchange. After reading a lot of forums I noticed that it could be the RAM was improperly placed so I tried many times to take it out and put it back in but same problem keeps occurring. I hear no beeps and only hear a click from the power supply when it goes on. I tried the psu tester on the power supply and it tells me it should be working fine. Any one have any idea?

moba: ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
ram: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
power: EVGA 220-G2-0850-XR 850W Power Supply
case: Thermaltake Level 10 Series Level 10 GT (VN10001W2N) Black Computer Case
processor: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I54670K Desktop Processor
video card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 02G-P4-3757-KR FTW w/ ACX Cooling Video Card

Please someone help :( and thanks to all!!

Okay, I've had the same issue with a new build: Put it all together, switch on the power and basically nothing. Do the following tried and true diagnostic steps that can be tedious but costs nothing to do and can often zero in on your issue:

1. Uninstall everything from your motherboard and disconnect all peripherals from your power supply except psu to motherboard, cpu, and one stick of RAM. Now turn it on. If it boots up and stays booted then shut it down and then...

2. Add your second stick of memory -- nothing else. Repeat by booting up and if it stays booted up then...

3. Start adding one piece of hardware at a time and repeat as directed.

What are your findings?

So when I disconnect everything including processor and leave in 1 RAM card, it wont turn on, but when I put in the processor and leave in 1 RAM and every step after that I get the same problem that it turns on for a second and shuts off for like 3 seconds after continuously

My best guess -- and this only a guess -- is that your motherboard was delivered DOA. Your part choices are excellent and they all go together.

Is it possible to borrow another power supply just to double check? Your CPU will need to be connected at all times.

Back