Building graphics workstation

By salahaddin
Jul 13, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Bro ,
    just seen your suggestion , really very help full.. also need your advise in building graphics workstation. we are advertising company.. I want to build a perfect graphics workstation for our our designers..
    we use the following applications .

3d Software- 3d studio Max 2013
    Render resolution- HD 1920
    Adobe Master Collection 6
    Adobe Design Collection 6 (illustrator-photoshop-indesign) ME
    Maya
    After Effect Package Plugin
    Cinema 4D –vision 14

all the above application we use to make exhibition stall designs..ect.
    at present we are using intel xeon quad core - 3.2 Ghz with 6GB RAM .. ATI RADEON HD4780 1GB., we are using single monitor.. may be required Dual screen..

I was looking for HD Z820 and Z640 series... dual xeon with 8 core processor with 32GB RAM , Nvidia Quadro 4000 is costing huge amount...$ 10,000/- each

I know build customized will reduce the cost...I want about 5 workstations..

so please advise me best suitable computer spec... relable spec and recomanded graphics card.. my budged is $ 5000/-
  2. stonarda

stonarda TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 180   +17

Is the $5000 per computer, or for all the computers put together? :)
  3. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,725   +874

Yeah, like Stonarda said, is it 5K per PC? Or in total?
  4. salahaddin

salahaddin Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Absolutely for one machine.$ 5K for one Machine . below 5K will very fine..
    but I want best performance machine.

the applications using are :
    Adobe suite CS6 ,3DMAX , Corel Draw ( rare usage ) Auto cad , Archi CAD , Maya and Vray.
    as I mentioned we are exhibitions and events designers.. the branded HP workstations is very expensive. advise me customized workstation with best motherboard , Processor and graphics card.. recommanded memory size
  5. JC713

Would you be fine with building your own PC? It offers much more customizability.
  6. salahaddin

salahaddin Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Yes.... I want to make customized.. that's why I am here.. I want to select best quality motherboard, Processor and RAM.. please advise me the dual processor solution..stronger spec for professional work.

with regards
  7. JC713

I can do that. This is what I would recommend:
    CPU: 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2630
    Motherboard: ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS
    RAM: 2 x Kingston ECC Registered RAM (4x4GB)
    CPU Cooler: 2 x Corsair H80i Closed Loop Water Cooler
    GPU: nVidia Quadro K4000
    SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
    HDD: x WD Caviar Black 1TB-2TB -- You need to chose how many HDDs you need. Photoshop uses a lot of memory for scratch drives, so you want a HDD dedicated to that. It is under your discretion how many HDDs you need.
    PSU: Corsair HX 1050
    DVD Drive: Lite-On DVD Drive
    Case: Xigmatek Elysium Black - A bit overkill, but I am not really sure about what cases fit the wide WS motherboard I chose other than this case.

With 3 HDDs, the final price is about $4,350. This gives you plenty of room for expansion. Maybe you want to add another 840 Pro (dont RAID 0 them).

Do you need a Windows 7 subscription and peripherals (keyboard, mice, monitors)?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.