Building New Budget Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellokitty[hk]

I'm building a new budget computer, I really just need it for browsing, email, and office work, nothing much. My budget is very low, nothing over $500, no graphics card. I already have the OS and phericals.
Here's what I am planning on:

Antec earthwatts EA380 380W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.0 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
Pioneer 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model DVR-216DBK - OEM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADO5000DOBOX - Retail
OR
AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
OCZ Vista Upgrade 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2VU8002GK - Retail

Now the motherboard, I want it to run on integrated graphics and I would rather have an AM3 compatible board, but if it costs significantly more (as far as I know it doesn't) then i'll stick with AM2+.
You will have to help me on the case, I don't need anything too flashy, something cheep but reliable.

What you have together thus far looks like a good rig with all reliable components, except we have seen early failures in the Antec 380 earthwatts. Where do you live ... the USA or another country (needed for looking at shipping and power... since I don't know where your Starcraft 0.0 is parked.)
Is this your first build?

Have you already bought that stuff?

If not, I recommend going with the Corsair 400CX instead of the Earthwatts PSU for the better price and rebate. I also recommend going with the X2 4850e for the free shipping and lower power consumption. You may also want to go with a Plextor drive I've seen on Newegg for $35 shipped. It's a retail drive, so it comes with burning software too I suppose.

As for the motherboard, I recommend the GA-MA770-UD3. The Cooler Master Elite 341 & Antec Three Hundred are my recommendations for good-quality, inexpensive cases.

Is this your first build?
No, its not, I live in the USA and will use newegg. I think I can handle building this all by myself :).

Have you already bought that stuff?
Nope, I corrected that in my first post now.

It's a retail drive, so it comes with burning software too I suppose.
Do I want that software, not really... I've seen a lot of worthless barely usable software shipped with drives...but I may get the plextor anyway.

GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
No integrated video? I think a 4670 or 4770 is still out of this budget, or it will at least be in 2D mode all the time.

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Sounds good, i'll take the corsair power supply, x2 4850e, and the antec case. O.O Are you leaving out links because you assume i'll know where to go already?

I have 2 COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 cases, one with the window and one without. I really like them. It isn't much more expensive than the 341 rage suggested and I think it may be worth the $5 splurge :) You won't be putting 8 case fans in it or anything like all the new builders seem to be crazy about, but it should do a great job for your system.

Let the Bargains Come to You....!

hellokitty; newegg has the Centurion 5 case on sale via Email for $49.95 with FREE shipping. Here's a promo code, EMCLTMM67. I don't know if it'll work for you. Oh, there's a $10.00 MIR too. If you're not signed up for Newegg's Email promos, you should be, ASAP!

hellokitty; newegg has the Centurion 5 case on sale via Email for $49.95 with FREE shipping. Here's a promo code, EMCLTMM67. I don't know if it'll work for you. Oh, there's a $10.00 MIR too. If you're not signed up for Newegg's Email promos, you should be, ASAP!
I am, havn't gotten the email though O.O. Something seemingly 100% positive out of captaincranky?

A worry on the Plextor: We no longer find their famous long-term reliability with Plextore any more... In fact we have had better luck with the LG, Pioneer, and Samsung at $21.99 at Directron.com. Several of our recent Plextor shipments lasted less than eight months. We find Nero 6, 7, and 8 at $3 to $9 as well as Cyberlink DVD 8 and CD Creator 9 for around $9 at such sites as ClickCoolDeals.
But it is nice and helpful to get everything from one site such as NewEgg.

I am too biased against Sony opitical drives to comment. I think the Plextor is ok if the price is right... just without the famous reliability we once expected.
We like Pioneer, LG, Phillips, and then Lite-On and Samsung with some on this list do not favor. We are not fond of Sony, HL or HLDS, HP, Memorex, ASUS, and Acer.
Who knows nowadays... they are probably all built in the same plant. When you tear one apart, you are amazed that they figgered out how to make any of them as cheaply as $21.

@raybay, AFAIK most of the Sony drives are rebranded Lite-On drives. Can you confirm this?

@hk, I'd recommend going for one of the ASUS M3A78 open-box mobos instead. They're about the same price on Newegg.

Open Box: ASUS M3A78-CM AM2+/AM2 AMD 780V Micro ATX AMD Motherboard $49.99.
With that and the other parts mentioned above, I think thats it, ill be ordering pretty soon.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't open box mean the product will only come with the original product and possibly not with phericals like cables?

In my cart is the
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
Open Box: ASUS M3A78-CM AM2+/AM2 AMD 780V Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail
OCZ Vista Upgrade 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2VU8002GK - Retail
AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor Model ADH4850DOBOX - Retail
Pioneer 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model DVR-216DBK - OEM
Only seven products, a short list...

Not all Sony, but a great number of them are NEC... You now see Sony Nec on the packaging material when they come in a box. But Sony also has arrangements with other manufacturers... to the same result... not up to the Sony name, and not up to the Sony reliability standards.
I cannot say for sure about the Lite-On... but Lite-On makes a lot of other stuff for the Sony label... power adapters, USB ports, other assembly ports for Sony desktop and laptop computers... I think most companies do that now...
You can almost tell whether an HP came from Hungary, Mexico, Singapore, or the Philippines by how the internal parts look.
Still some companies do much better quality control, and must have more demanding contracts, just from the looks of them and how long they last.
HL Data or HLDS makes a great number of components to be badged by other big names.

Well then, I actually think I will go to a local computer shop to buy a PIONEER CD/DVD burner, newegg seems sold out, unless any of you have some CD/DVD drives off newegg?

I will probably be ordering tonight or tomorrow, thanks.

EDIT: If there is a similar board with firewire support, that would be even better :), else I might go with the just because it has a front firewire port, i'm hoping it may work. Antec NSK6580 Black/ Silver 0.8mm cold-rolled steel construction ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 430W Power Supply - Retail.

By the time I received your message, the NewEgg folks were sold out of the Sony Optiarc. Sorry.
I would get a Pioneer, LG, or Plextor... based on what has the best price.

ooops! right you are HK! im stilled miffed cuz they named my K-10 7750BE an athlon! :):haha:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back