Building new computer

By codewahn
Jan 20, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. codewahn

codewahn TS Rookie Topic Starter

2. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,370   +125

What is this computer for and what's your budget?

3. Buckshot420

Buckshot420 TS Enthusiast Posts: 467

There is no heatpipe contact with the CPU.....fail!

4. hellokitty[hk]

Really? It looks to me like they're all connected via the copper block at the bottom.

5. Buckshot420

6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,090   +1,519

Nice theory
    Links that support this theory would be nice too. Have you seen a performance test of the OPs heatsink where it could be considered a failure?

7. Buckshot420

I believe it's called "H.D.T. (Heat-pipe direct touch) technology" and most air cooled cpu manufacturers have moved to this "technology" as they call it (i see it more as common sense). I meant "fail" on the one he picked. Since he hasn't purchased one yet I only pointed out that the one he picked has no direct heatpipe contact and my opinion is that pick was not a good one since I have used both.

I can't find any info that states it is better heat distribution to place a solid chunk of metal between the item you want cooled and the pipes that are doing the cooling.
    http://www.enertron-inc.com/enertro...o-Consider-When-Designing-With-Heat-Pipes.pdf

8. codewahn

9. Buckshot420

10. hellokitty[hk]

IMO a budget PC doesn't need more than a stock heatsink, at least nothing too expensive. I'd think it's better to spend that money elsewhere, but I'm not sure since you haven't answered those first two questions.

Oh, I see what you mean, I thought the copper block and the pipes were a single piece of copper. That definitely doesn't mean it's a bad cooler though.

11. codewahn

comp is going to be used for everything really but leaning more towards gaming, board is cheaper than the reat of the stuff ill be getting can only afford a basic board for now getting 8 gig ram and an i5 2300 cpu with it

12. Buckshot420

13. hellokitty[hk]

Me too, and also using a stock cooler since they're much cheaper.
    What's your approximate budget (and what does that include, monitor, keyboard, mouse, OS, or just a barebones desktop)?

14. codewahn

for the desktop alone it will come to about £600 then if i decide on a fan controller and 5.25 bay a bit more :p i do plan to get a monitor and found a nice one for £135... considering this was a sudden spur of the moment build im not doing too bad... cpu for the comp i have now got discontinued after i had to send it back do to being doa ><

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.