TechSpot

Building new gaming comp for Star Wars: TOR. What are you running?

By NROPslacker
Sep 16, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hey everyone I am looking at getting a computer for starwars the old republic(needs to release already grr) I am thinking of going through Cyberpowerpc.com my brother and quite a few of my friends have bought computers from them and they seem to be the cheapest for brand new systems. I was hoping I could get some of you to build what you think would be a great computer for gaming, I will only be doing games on it and maybe watching movies I have 1 monitor right now i believe is a 22" viewsonic I would like to get a 24" and have duel monitors. I am looking to spend any where from 1k-1.7k I am looking into getting a SSD with a reg hard drive for storage. Any questions or concerns please post them here and i will get back to you ASAP, PREFER intel i5 unless u think i7 would be better with Over Clocking.

also if you will be playing starwars tor what kind of rig are u running right now and will be running for the game on release day?

so i just seen this and sorry for not doing it prior but here is what i kind of want

What are you going to use the PC for? Starwars: TOR. movies maybe blue ray maybe not not sure yet thats about it.

How much is your budget?
    1k-1.7k

Where are you located? (a.k.a. fill out your profile)
    San Joaquin County California near stockton/modesto ca

Are you willing to buy online?
    was looking at cyberpowerpc.com I have put together computers myself from newegg.com and a couple other places and from what i have seen cyberpower only charges roughly 30-50dollars to put it together for you.

Are you going to re-use any parts from an earlier build?
    No

Do you need other peripherals like a monitor, keyboard and mouse, among others?
    Yes monitor keyboard mouse and headset prefer(throw in speakers ill remove if i want or dont want

Have you already bought any parts?
    no i have not bought anything

Do you have an Operating System (OS)?
    I have one from my laptop but i dont think i will be using it so throw in maybe windows 7?

Will you need any aftermarket cooling, such as a CPU\GPU cooler or a watercooling setup?
    I prefer water cooled CPU/GPU I want it to stay cool as it does get hot here during the summer months, but ontop of that i would like as little noise as possible and no lights or neons I hate bright lights when im trying to sleep lol.

2. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,288   +7

I am assuming that your present budget excludes the monitor.

Here's what I suggest:

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz - $219.99
    ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 - $189.99
    MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III 1G/OC Radeon HD 6950 - $239.99
    CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 - $149.99
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) - $69.99
    Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB - $54.99
    COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II - $79.99

TOTAL - $1004.93

That leaves you with $700 for OS and peripherals.

I am personally using the Microsoft Sidewinder X4 and Logitech MX518 as my keyboard / mouse combo. Really happy with them. However, it's more down to personal preference.

With any cash that's left over you might want to get an SSD/Blu-Ray/etc. Or you might look at getting a second HD 6950 for CF.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.