TechSpot

Building new PC, need motherboard PSU suggestions

By hoolege06
Aug 6, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hi guys,

I am brand new at this stuff. I really want to learn how to build my own computers instead of buying Dell garbage. But I have a lot to learn.

Can you help me with the power supply and motherboard?

Are these three compatible?

Power supply:
    COOLER MASTER GX Series RS650-ACAAE3-US 650W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Motherboard:
    ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Case:
    Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan

Any extra tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance! Smile
    Hoolege06

2. crunchie

crunchie Malware Helper Posts: 761

Putting your processor and Ram in there as well would give us a better idea I think.
    PSU should be fine, depending also on what graphics card(s) you are running.

3. hoolege06

hoolege06 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Here ya go! :)

CPU:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W

RAM:
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Graphics card:
    MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

4. crunchie

crunchie Malware Helper Posts: 761

If it were me buying it, I would buy the FX series motherboard. No need for onboard graphics when you are buying a card.
    Cannot find if those ripjaws are compatible, but they probably are.
    I was going to buy the ripjaws myself but settled for the ECO model. PC12800 running at rated frequency @ 7-7-7-24=1T easily with only 1.4volts.

All in all though, that looks like a very nice build. You will be happy with the 6 core.

5. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,288   +7

Everything looks good hoolege06. The 890FX motherboards are going to be more expensive. If you don't mind spending another $50 - 60 you could get THIS instead.

6. hoolege06

hoolege06 TS Rookie Topic Starter

hey

awesome that sounds great!! Thanks for the good advice guys!!!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.