Built a new computer, but the monitor wont display an image

Status
Not open for further replies.

Classic Rock

Hello everyone,

I have finally bought and put together my new beastly computer, but something is wrong.

I have connected everything as best I can and my uncle, who built his own computer, cannot find anything wrong with the way the components are connected. But when I plug my moniter into the 8800GT, nothing happens. I have tried three different moniters, (2 CRT and 1 LCD) and the best I can get is a "No Signal" image on the LCD. The other two remain black.

I have also tried removing and replacing the card, like it says to do in theTrouble-Shooting section of the card's manual, but to no avail.

The fans all start spinning around, the LED's light up... but that's about it. nothing else happens.
(The moniters all work on the other computer, just fine by the way).

It looks very pretty and all, but it isn't exactly living up to my expectations.

Is it normal for a PC to do this untill the OS is installed? I would appreciate any information anyone might have as well as any advice.

Also if anyone can post a link to a good "How To Build A Computer" guide for noobs, I would be very grateful.

Classic Rock.

Check your MB specs

You may want to look at your motherboard specs.
Some MB if it's SLI requires you to flip a jumper if you are running with 1 GPU if not already set by default. Also if you are running a single GPU it may also require you put the GPU in a specific PCI-E slot.

Good luck.

ok I need to ask some questions as you haven't posted any specs for your system,

1. Do you have a big enough power supply to run the card ?, the 8800 series needs 400 watts minimum,
2. you have the card in the correct PCIe port, i dont know what motherboard your using but some require that if your using just the one card it be placed in a certain PCIe slot and not just any of them, check the motherboard manual to find out which slot to use.
3. connected the power to the card ?
4. faulty DVI cable or VGA-DVI connector if using a VGA monitor, have you tried another cable / connector.

that's all i can think of at the moment that could cause the problem.

Hi guys,

Sorry about taking a while to write back, I don't have internet at my place so I am using a friend's computer.

My specs should have been availiable in the 'System Specs' pull-down thingy in the top right hand corner of my last post, but if they're not, here they are.

CPU - Q6600
PSU - Thermaltake 750w Toughpower
GPU - 8800GT
RAM - 4GB (2 x 2GB) of ADATA 800mhz
HDD - 2 x 320GB, Samsung, 7200rpm, 16mb cache
Mobo - Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R

Case - Thermaltake Armor+, Super Tower

*QUOTE*, from: 1amguy

You may want to look at your motherboard specs.
Some MB if it's SLI requires you to flip a jumper if you are running with 1 GPU if not already set by default. Also if you are running a single GPU it may also require you put the GPU in a specific PCI-E slot.

Good luck.

*END QUOTE*

Thankyou, but my motherboard only has 1 PCI-e slot

*QUOTE* from: Darth_Terra1

ok I need to ask some questions as you haven't posted any specs for your system,

1. Do you have a big enough power supply to run the card ?, the 8800 series needs 400 watts minimum,
2. you have the card in the correct PCIe port, i dont know what motherboard your using but some require that if your using just the one card it be placed in a certain PCIe slot and not just any of them, check the motherboard manual to find out which slot to use.
3. connected the power to the card ?
4. faulty DVI cable or VGA-DVI connector if using a VGA monitor, have you tried another cable / connector.

that's all i can think of at the moment that could cause the problem.

*END QUOTE*

Thankyou, I have tried running the computer with the card connected to the PSU and without. Nothing changed either time. I have also tried changing the little VGA to DVI adapter, and again, nothing changes. As for the cables, they are attached to the moniter, and so far I have tried three of those.

Thankyou to everyone who has posted so far, and especially to Tedster. You have given me four leads that I would never have thought of.

1.) I don't remember putting insulators of the risers for the motherboard,
2.) I have an IDE device, although why it wouldn't work is beyond me as it worked before,
3.) The RAM may not be compatible,

IF ANYONE HAS THIS TYPE OF RAM / MOTHERBOARD COMBINATION, PLEASE LET ME KNOW

and lastly, the integrated video. I don't know if this motherboard has it, or how to turn it off if it does. Can anyone help me with this?

Again, Thankyou very much.

According to gigabyte your motherboard has 3 PCIe ports, one 16x and three 1x, I'm guessing you are already but make sure your using the 16x slot for a single card the others are used when running SLI

Thanks Darth_Terra1,

Your right, I thought that those smaller slots were just PCI slots. Anyway, I managed to get the thing going, it turns out that I hadn't connected the little 4-pin AUX power connector for the CPU.

Now that that problem is out of the way, I have another. Yay. I am having trouble installing XP. The first time I tried, I got as far as trying to make a partition on the hard drive. For some reason, the damn thing just didn't want to work. It says that XP needs something like 1,182 MB of space, so I make a partition of 1,200 MB, then 1,300 MB. Still it doesn't want to work, so I press F3 and quit. A while later I try again, and this time when the computer starts up it can't get past "verifying DMI pool data".

Have I just destroyed my new computer moments after I got it running?

I just want to be clear about this
You are trying to install Windows on less than a 2 Gig Partition ??

I. Am. An. *****.

God only knows how much of an ***** I am. Yes, I installed XP on less than 2 gigs of hard drive. When I had a brand new 320gig hard drive.

When setup asked me to make a partition on my hard drive, it said that the minimum amount of space needed to install XP was 1,182 MB. so I made a partition of 1,184MB.

Things went along beautifully, and at long last, after months of saving, buying, building and waiting I finally found myself on the desktop.

Oh, I was so happy, untill I tried to install Microsoft Word. When I tried to do this I was told that there was insufficient room. My beastly computer now has a usable Hard Drive of about 2MB, and to top things of it turns out that the version of XP I installed is not a 64-bit OS like I was told it was, but a 32-bit!

I thought I was hot stuff, managing to install XP on my computer. I am not hot stuff.

Please help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back