Built my PC last year now looking to upgrade

terry5880

hi all I built my pc about a year ago as like a project one, im looking to upgrade so will give as much specs as I can and see what all think on what I should upgrade.
motherboard p5kpl-am-epu ,,, cpu- intel core 2 duo E6750 2.66ghz
2gb kinston ram ,,, 500gb sata hard drive upgraded from 240gb 3 months ago,, 750watt psu
geforce nvidia 8800gt graphics card

What's it used for Terry?

Whether it even needs updating depends on what you use it for really, hence asking. If you use it for gaming, let us know a few games you play and at what resolutions you prefer to play at.

very rarely game on here as I got xbox etc mainly just browsing bud and downloading I play online poker etc but not big games like mordern warfare or battlefield as I got them on xbox

Well, strictly speaking it doesn't need any updating for simple web browsing, in-browser games and emailing.

Unless you're pushing to upgrade something of course.

Your hardware is older when compared to the latest available, but it's frankly unnecessary to upgrade for the type of usage your computer is used for.

true thanks bud might look at doing it as a project as this can only hold 4 gig of ram and I got 2 1gigs = 2 gig but only 2 slots so I might start with better mother board

if I were you I'd add more RAM and start using SSD for the Windows partition. don't bother with the processor and motherboard.

so you feel my motherboard and cpu are good ? and I keep hearing about this ssd what is it and what does it do I hear its a new form or hard drive but not magnetic

An SSD as a high-performance hard drive, without any rotating parts using memory for storage rather than disk platters like traditional hard disks. Because it has no moving parts it offers "almost instant" (~<1ms seek times as opposed to mechanic disks with ~>8ms) seek times, and offers considerably faster read and write times.

It's without question the single best upgrade component a computer user can add to a computer system. Windows will load considerably faster (mines booted to login screen inside 12 seconds on average and ready on the desktop within 5 seconds of entering password) and applications (installed on the SSD) benefit from faster load times.

Motherboard and CPU are fine for now, they're getting old now but perfectly servicable given the type of usage the computer is used for. I still use a quad-core Q6600 of the same generation as your CPU in my main PC, and although I'm pushing the boundaries in terms of performance with my usage (Virtual machines, dev, office, gaming) it's hanging in there just fine. Your demands are much lower in terms of the resources your computer provides, so you could safely hold off upgrading the motherboard and CPU for now, and concentrate on other areas (SSD, bigger disks, nice case, PSU, optical drives, keyboard/mouse etc) for now and upgrade them next year once Intel's next generation CPUs arrive.

thanks for the great info .. I got nice keyboard and mouse case is micro small one psu is 750 watt got 3 500gb 7200rpm hdd so might trade in and get ssd

what is the best ssd to get was looking on ebay and 240 gb is like £190 wow dear

They're expensive, but realistically speaking 120/128GB is plenty for Windows and any applications you'd use. For media storage like pictures, videos and documents it makes better sense (in terms of cost) to store them on the three mechanical disks you already have. I currently use a 64GB SSD (which right now has 11.8GB free) for Windows 7 Pro x64 and all my applications (and some are rather large) so going for one double that size is more than plenty.

I'd recommend you purchase a Crucial RealSSD M4 128GB SSD, from somewhere like Scan. You might be able to find it slightly cheaper elsewhere, however. I'll be ordering one of these soon myself. We reviewed the 256GB model previously, but its worth checking out our other reviews of other SSDs if you want to check other models out.

Back