Built PC won't POST, blank screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been building PC systems for a while and haven't run by many problems with computer parts. I put together a new system and it won't post. I press power and the fans start the CD drives spin and the HD starts up. The problem is that the display never comes up and the CD drives keep flashing like it just keeps restarting. It doesn't beep or anything. I took everything off so it was just the video, processor and memory and it still did the same thing. I'm not sure if the processor is dead or the motherboard is faulty. I know it's not the memory because there is no beep and I tried another memory stick and it didn't work. If I take the memory out I don't get any beep either. I know the processor heats up but I don't know if it's really functioning. I didn't notice any burns on the board from shorts and from the second I started the system it's been doing this. I can't get to the BIOS or anything. I checked all my connections Here's my setup.

ASUS K8N-E Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Antec 400 watt power supply
Corsair 512Mb DDR400 PC3200
NVIDIA BFG GeForce 5200

I know I'm going to have to send something back but I don't know what. The box the motherboard was in had a gouge in it so it might have been abused. I hate the idea of sending this back and waiting for a replacement.

I'm sure you checked this, but I had a similar problem. It turns out the power supply on the brand new case I bought had been switched to 230v instead of 115. The computer powered up, but wouldn't POST. Took me a returned mother board before I noticed it.

I'd suspect a short in the mobo. Either a screw or pin(s). I'd move everything out of the case and put the minimal together, then try it out.

Hmmm.. Sounds like my computer... hehe..
It also starts up like that.. Keeps flashing on my DVD-drive.. With a black screen as background..

But if I just wait 10-15 minutes.. It'll start up normaly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back