Bungie unveils post-Halo franchise known as Destiny

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Several members of the press were recently invited to Bungie’s 80,000-square foot studios in Bellevue, Washington for a look at what the company has been up to since wrapping things up with Halo a few years back. It was here that the video game developer spilled the beans about Destiny, a franchise that we’ve heard about in the past but didn’t have any solid details on.

Destiny is described as a sci-fi first-person shooter that once again pits humans against an alien race. Gamers will take the role of a “Guardian”, a human survivor trying to reclaim what’s being taken from them. The overall atmosphere is described as much darker and ominous than past Bungie games.

bungie destiny unveiled halo destiny

Destiny will have a story campaign with a multiplayer aspect much like Halo, however this time around there will be greater emphasis on social interaction that will allow you to play with friends as well as strangers.

All of this will be done seamlessly, Bungie says. There will be no co-op servers or having to wait for other players to join the game. If the server recognizes two players on the same mission or in the same geographical region, the game will merge their journeys together.

bungie destiny unveiled halo destiny

Despite the heavy social interaction and optional missions to collect loot, Bungie was quick to point out that this is not an MMO and that no monthly subscription will be involved. They described Destiny as having living, open worlds with evolving stories and changing time of day. It’s an always-online experience but it’s not an MMO.

The new franchise will kick off Bungie’s 10-year deal with Activision that was first announced in April 2010 and will consist of multiple sequels. The title is expected for the Xbox 360 and the PS3 (and probably next generation consoles as well) but don’t expect to see anything launch until 2014 at the earliest -- no mention about PCs either.

Permalink to story.

Maybe. Who cares. Single player, Co op, and competitive play integrated into one seamless world...with no monthly fee....

Hmmm... Looks like I am interested in it... Always love a good player customization system (and like the armour style from what I've seen) :D

As for a game I will buy around launch or not, that is still to be decided..........

Is it still gonna be cross platform?
I heard that in a IGN interview (or something like that), they made it clear that it will be :)

I knew that Bungie had huge ambitions with this game, but I had no idea just how big they are willing to go. This could very well be the biggest new franchise to be started as a video game since Halo. I'm incredibly excited!

PC support is the most important question ? The Halo / Gears franchise did themselves a huge disservice by NOT supporting the PC platform.

PC support is the most important question ? The Halo / Gears franchise did themselves a huge disservice by NOT supporting the PC platform.
They have Activision above them this time, not MS. They will be supporting pretty much everything with the power to run it from what I understand...

Think about it, this will be nothing but a huge fail, and even if you like it, the game won't make it passed the first month of online play. It will end up like Brink, a fun game that never got the attention it deserved because they butchered it. The reason Bungie has never released anything decent besides Halo is because they blow.

I don't really know if PC will really ever be the main platform from now on... the xbox 720 will have DX11.1 support so if it gets a game, then it will be ported to PC. Or vise versa (Which will probably not happen considering the PC community vs Console).

I don't really know if PC will really ever be the main platform from now on... the xbox 720 will have DX11.1 support so if it gets a game, then it will be ported to PC. Or vise versa (Which will probably not happen considering the PC community vs Console).
Statements like this, no offense, show how little people know about what truly makes a game look great.
It's not one isolated technology, or the game engine, the polygon count of the models, DirectX version, MSAA/TXAA, AF and AA, dynamic range, advanced shadow engines, etc etc etc.
There are many many factors that go into a game engine that depict how real a game world looks and feels. These new consoles will still only use a small number of the available technologies you can get on PC.
PhsyX is no longer a joke and looks amazing in Borderlands 2, the game is by far a better experience with it.

Statements like this, no offense, show how little people know about what truly makes a game look great.
It's not one isolated technology, or the game engine, the polygon count of the models, DirectX version, MSAA/TXAA, AF and AA, dynamic range, advanced shadow engines, etc etc etc.
There are many many factors that go into a game engine that depict how real a game world looks and feels. These new consoles will still only use a small number of the available technologies you can get on PC.
PhsyX is no longer a joke and looks amazing in Borderlands 2, the game is by far a better experience with it.
True, but I am stating in general.

Looks like a bad planetside lol.
Maybe if you actually saw its major, major differences from planetside, you wouldnt be saying ignorant things like that.
Not to mention its not a F2P game with microtransactions, and that already gives it a heads up...

Maybe if you actually saw its major, major differences from planetside, you wouldnt be saying ignorant things like that.
Not to mention its not a F2P game with microtransactions, and that already gives it a heads up...
We just have to see the final outcome

I never jumped on the Halo bandwagon, but this sounds pretty sick. They will probably have to support the PC though for me to get it. I'm not buying another console when my computer can run the game better anyways.

Saw this the other day and yeah, gotta say it looks so much like Halo. Sure, as it's bungie you would expect to see similarities, but I found it was a bit too much. In terms of the gameplay it sounds cool (making it more sociable, seamless multiplayer etc), don't have an issue with that. But if you look at the brief bit of gameplay footage, if I didn't look twice I would have assumed it was Halo (and I've played all the games). Even the weapons and armor look really similar.

Saw this the other day and yeah, gotta say it looks so much like Halo. Sure, as it's bungie you would expect to see similarities, but I found it was a bit too much. In terms of the gameplay it sounds cool (making it more sociable, seamless multiplayer etc), don't have an issue with that. But if you look at the brief bit of gameplay footage, if I didn't look twice I would have assumed it was Halo (and I've played all the games). Even the weapons and armor look really similar.
The brief bit of gameplay showing a character walking up a hill?

The brief bit of gameplay showing a character walking up a hill?

Yeah the bits at 3:20

Back