Burned memory slot on Asus P7H55-M

By 7ryota
Jun 15, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. sorry i like to seek your adivce on the following matter

i am using asus P7H55-M motherboard..i was actually using kingston 2x 2GB 1333MHz ram..recently i added 1 nex kingston 1x4GB 1333MHz ram..it was working fine until today when the com could not boot up..when i check, i found burnt mark on the 4GB ram and the memory slot..

my question are:
    1) could i replace my motherboard if it is still under warrenty
    2) could the burnt mark cause by the mismatching of the ram..
  2. bushwhacker

bushwhacker TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,086

I guess so, have you ever tried to establish the communication with the motherboard maker yet? Many of them has it own support lines that can provides the RMA informations.

How? Did you actually force it to be seated in backward position? Look closely at the notch of RAM, they can only go one way, and you can feel the pressure of installing the ram if it goes in wrong way.
  3. 7ryota

7ryota Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

How? Did you actually force it to be seated in backward position? Look closely at the notch of RAM, they can only go one way, and you can feel the pressure of installing the ram if it goes in wrong way.[/QUOTE]

i confirm i slot in the correct way cos i have been using it for about 1 week after installing the 4GB ram
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,675   +152

The memory module could have shorted causing the memory slot to burn. This could void the motherboard warranty though... I have seen this on a few motherboards in my experience over the years
  5. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

in short, yes and yes. The more likely answer is yes and no. It is more likely that you overclocked the ram or there is a psu failure.

check the psu with a tester and voltmeter. if it is a stock psu replace it with a quality one.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.