TechSpot

Burner not working

By tpw
Feb 23, 2008
  1. I have teach combo drive cd-rw & dvd - rom i cant burn nothing couple weeks ago i found out that i can only seem to burn music on cd-rw not on cd-r when i try. And went out and got some sony cd-rw disk and it wont burn music the computer look like it burning and get done the cd come out and i put it back in and it nothing on their can any body help me thanks.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Replace the burner. Believe it or not... They do go bad

3. tpw

tpw TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 107

barely used it

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

I think its bad too. The only thing that seems odd is it works with a RW, but apparently not all RWs.

5. sghiznaneck

sghiznaneck TS Maniac Posts: 403

Optical readers are funny things. Just because it's new doesn't mean that it isn't bad. They are very sensitve to bouncing or jarring around. It could be that when it was shipped from the manufacturer to the distributor, it was damaged. There really is no way to adjust the reader without doing more damage. If you just purchased it, take it back for a replacement. If not, they're fairly cheap nowadays, so it shouldn't bankrupt you to replace it. On average (for your information), they only last around 4,000-5,000 hours before they go bad.

6. tpw

tpw TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 107

in device manager it a yellow next to scsi/raid host controller and it have a yellow ! symbol.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.