burning Data DVDs - please help

By stratocasted
Nov 12, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm using Nero 6 to burn data dvds and so far none of them have been successful. The burn completes and Nero tells me it was sucessful, but when I attempt to read one of the burned DVDs, windows tells me to insert a disk into the drive. Attempting to explore/open one of the burned DVDs also apparently managed to crash Explorer. I've created a successful data DVD on this machine before, so I know the burner is capable of doing it. One time I chose to finalize the DVD and another time I chose not to. That change didn't affect the final dvd at all, and so far none of them have worked.

I'm using Sony DVD+R disks and I also tried my burned dvds in my other disk drive. both are DVD readers and one is the writer. Please help me figure out what to do; should I try another software? I know what I'm doing, or at least, I thought I did. It's always worked in the past.

edits/notes:
    do I need to format the blank dvd before I try to burn to it?

I'm not chosing to make a bootable disk either, so I can't understand why windows or my dvd-rom drives can't read the files on it.

Trying to burn a Nero Image Rom was downright unsuccessful.

I tweaked settings and also reverted to defaults for each individual burn attempt. I also tried using my copy of Nero Express. I even re-installed my copy of Nero 7 Premium to see if it would work. Now I'm using Nero 7 instead of 6 but I still have my old copy of it.

1st attempt was 4+ gigs of audio files
    2nd attempt was 4+ gigs of video files
    3rd attempt was 3+ gigs of both
    4th attempt was 3+ gigs of disk images (legal backups, thank you very much)
    5th latest attempt which failed outright was a Nero Burn Rom

Now the process fails outright every time with the error:
    Could not complete end of Disk-at-Once

please advise (!!!)
  2. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

Make sure that in the drop down box for recorders your DVD Burner is showing and not "image recorder."
  3. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

I have heard bad things about the first nero 7 release
    7.0.0.0 has lots of bugs,this is from other forums ,not my experiance
    I have 6.016 ,but don't burn much with it anymore
    though I'm sure it still works
  4. IronDuke

IronDuke Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,267

CD burner

I couldn't get on with Nero. I went for Cdburnerxp.
  5. stratocasted

stratocasted Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 19

I got the freeware program IronDuke mentioned, CdburnerXP. It completed a 'successful' burn, but still, when I ask my drive to read the disk: nothing. it asks me to insert a disk. Now, after three different burning softwares completed what they deemed successful burns, I'm suspecting that it's a read error. How can I determine if that is the case, (besides testing it on another machine,) and what am I supposed to do about it?

when I try to find the name of my drives all I get is this:
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4040B
    JLMS XJ-HD1665

They came installed with my Gateway machine and they've never given me any trouble. I'm able to play storebought DVD movies and games just fine, so maybe it isn't a reading error. Either way, I'm stuck. Please help me if you can.

edit:
    a benchmarking and info gathering program (Nero CD-DVD Speed, Nero InfoTool) seem to lock up when they attempt to access a drive which holds one of my burned DVDs. any program which attempts to refresh/access the drive that holds my DVD slows way down and either stops responding or never successfully accesses the drive.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.