Burnt 4 pin 12v ATX connector on mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

dae_amp_ika_dtp

Im working wth a computer that lost its power supply. Specs are not needed, my question is very general. Helping troubleshoot via telephone.

Bestbuy brand power supply died. Owner replaced it with a Thermaltake PSU. The system shuts off after heavy usage like gaming and stuff.
Visual inspection shows that the 4 pin ATX connector socket on the mobo next to the CPU has some melted plastic inside it, so the new PSU connector doesnt fit snug.
If the connector is held down with tape, it will stay on longer, but eventually shuts off again.

I was wondering if I could clean the plastic off, or just get a 8" 4 pin extension cable, plug the female end into the new PSU, cut off the male end and solder it to the mobo.
I know that I will have to be careful and make sure nothing will short out. Just wondering if that would be a solid fix or not? Thats the only visible damage. Thanks in advance!

Only if you are experienced, and very good at soldering.
There should be a way of using that extension cable by slightly compressing the socket... and I do mean slightly, just to make the fit more firm.
If you have access to a womans power sander or file that many women use to repair and polish their nails, you might be able to clean up the posts in a way that would be helpful.
As you are aware, be very careful to avoid putting pressure on those posts because the motherboard is very fragile and any pressure offers the risk of damaging the contact between those posts and the board, and that will be extremely difficult to fix...

Be sure to use very good lighting and perhaps a magnifying glass to be sure it is not already damaged.

I would also use some of the mild oil based solvents such as De-Solve to clean that plastic material off that portion of the board... it takes about 45 minutes with reapplications for De-Solve and other oily cleaners used to remove sticky stuff and plastic. When it dries, there is very little residue.

Maybe you can use a Dremel type rotary tool with a carbide cutting bit to clean up the melted plastic inside the 12V socket, at least enough to give sufficient clearance for the power connector. Something like this: http://www.redhillgeneralstore.com/B25630633.htm

I've used this type in automotive applications removing remnants of broken head bolts from an engine block. You should practice first so you don't over do it. Use gently, go slow and be aware of kickback.

Sounds good. I will definately try cleaning the post first. Havent seen the damage first hand, the owner should be dropping it off sometime this week.

Soldering experience....I can do 0603 smd's. If worse comes to worst, I will just solder it to the mobo. Thanks again!

02042009140.jpg

Be sure to get the owner's permission to solder the unit to the board, as that is rarely a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back