TechSpot

Busted IE6+IE7. Please Help

By Dwaggie
Jun 24, 2007
  1. Ok, hi guys, you'll know me from my other thread.

Anyway...I managed to uninstall IE7 from control panel by using control panel. I also uninstalled the windows component for IE6.

Now when I try to use the IE6Setup.exe file, I keep getting the following error message:

"Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on the system. (One blank line) Setup cannot continue."

And also, when I try to reinstall through the windows components part of control panel, it doesn't fix it. However, I still have the executable iexplore.exe on the computer (on my desktop). It's saved all my bookmarks and such, yet when I click on one, the following error comes up:

"this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. create an association in the folder options control panel".

However, when I click OK in the error box (which does look pretty bugged up, by the way - no title bar for it, no taskbar title, and the text in the error box higher than it should be), the bookmark opens up in a new IE6 window anyway.

Can someone please help me fix these two problems? Help on the last thread was massively appreciated, and I would really appreciate the help again.

EDIT: I tried creating a new URL shortcut on the desktop, and the same thing happens - check Problem3.jpg

Thanks,
    - Dwaggie

EDIT. I've attached three pics of the problems.

2. Dwaggie

Dwaggie TS Rookie Topic Starter

Ok, I THINK I've fixed it, so this thread can be closed. Thanks a ton.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.