Buy internal or external extra drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
First i am new to the forum, so howdy all.. I am planning on adding another hard drive to my system for games, mp3 stuff like that so i can free up my hard drive now for normal windows operations and to speed it up. So my question is what should i get another internal drive or should i just go with a external drive?

Unless you are goign to be swapping mass amounts of data between 2 systems I don't think you can go wrong with an internal one. And they are cheaper for the same amount of storage.

I would recommend and internal for speed, price/size.

If you do decide to get an external, settle for no less than USB 2.0 or Firewire. USB 1.0 and 1.1 are unsuitably slow for data transfer.. I cannot stress how slow they are. :)

Of course, to support USB 2.0 or Firewire, you'll need the appropriate ports.

External drives are useful as backup devices, and as they only need to be powered up when you require access to data, they will last longer and suffer less wear and tear. Also very handy if you want to add large amounts of storage space for a laptop. Internal is definitely better if you are going to be using it regularly.

A day late and a dollar short. I guess that's what happens when you live on the left coast of the USA. I would have said what Rick, Nic and SNGX1275 said if I had gotten up at 4AM.

Internal HDD all the way mate. External drives are not able to offer better performance/price ratio than their internal counterparts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back