Buying blank Dual Layer DVDs - questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNGX1275

I'm in need of several (25-50) dual layer dvds. I've accumulated several things that I would like to back up onto disk, and 4.3 gigs just won't hold them. Problem is, I don't know where you can get these things for any less than about $2 each.

So do any of you guys buy DL in quantities of more than 3 at once? What brands? And what is your success rate like?

Just saw some Memorex ones at Kinney Drugs today on sale from normal price of $9.99 for 15 down to $6.99. That makes them about 50¢ each.

Hmm. That is pretty good, really good actually. Unfortunately I've never heard of Kinney Drugs, and I also have never liked Memorex dvds. Maybe their DL ones are better?

I always use Memorex CD's. I went to RadioShack and purchased a 10 pack of DL DVD's for about 10 dollars, about a dollar a disk. Not bad and every single one of them burned everything I needed flawlessly. I actually just ran out and I have to buy more haha.

Kinney's is a chain, but I have no idea what parts of the country has them, or if they go by another name elsewhere.

But check their site for information:

www.kinneydrugs.com

I have never used the Memorex dl's, but I thought Memorex were generally good.

I've always used Memorex, and they've yet to fail me, with over 300 used, all still working. I have burned everything from movies to music on them, Slideshows, data, and nothing has even had the hint of failing, unless it was my fault (you know, throwing them like a frisbee, choosing to make a data instead of music cd, etc. ;) )

Well thats interesting.. 2 people not having problems with Memorex and a recommendation, I haven't had any issues myself, but I have very limited experience with them because just about everywhere you go you see nothing but terrible reviews for them.

Does anyone have any experience with the DL disks though? I may have to just get them and hope for the best because they are the only ones I've seen at a reasonable price.

Well, yes, I forgot to mention that. The Dual Layer Memorex I had gotten worked perfectly... In my newer DVD Recorder, and my TV's integrated DVD player, but my friends all had issues of a large skip, and sometimes freezing, halfway through the movie. I'm thinking its from changing layers?

Yeh, I could just buy an external, and it is probably the more economical solution, you can even get TB drives pretty cheap now (internal). But I would prefer to have disks.

Well, yes, I forgot to mention that. The Dual Layer Memorex I had gotten worked perfectly... In my newer DVD Recorder, and my TV's integrated DVD player, but my friends all had issues of a large skip, and sometimes freezing, halfway through the movie. I'm thinking its from changing layers?

The freezing or large skipping you mentioned could be because you are burning the disk too fast. I noticed that if I burn my DL disks at a slower speed other than 8x (sometimes even 2.4x, there is no skipping or burn errors when I play them in my DVD player, which is also a Memorex.

Well I gave in and bought a 50 spindle of Memorex. None of my burners can burn faster than 2.4x on DL so there was no concern about speeds.

So far... I have a 25% failure rate. I've burned them with my Plextor PX-740A and the Superdrive that is in the Powerbooks (and possibly the Macbooks, MBP, iMacs, and Mini).

If another fails in my Plextor I'm going to try on some other burners, I have 5 machines with a drive capable of writing DL disks, its just a pain to get 4-8 gig files to each of them, even with a 16GB flash drive.

kind of a cheap shot here but:
backups on unreliable, cheap media are frequently useless at restore time​
If it's important enough to backup, suggest getting good qualify media to ensure future Restore Succes :)

you could use online storage, like windows sky drive (25 gigs) and there are many other websites that offer free secure storage, you need a good Intenet connection. I would just buy a new Hard Drive.

I've used memorex DL's. One batch I got gave me a bunch of coasters while another worked quite well. You have to look at the manufacturer and not the brand (rarely the same company). In any case here are the memorex qty 50 for $35 http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=206820996
Those are the ones I got.

The stuff I'm 'backing up' isn't of vital importance. I always do a verification after I burn, all of these DL have passed verification if they got that far. I have seen verification fail a few times with this burner on SL disks, so I think verification actually does something other than take up time :)

I'd rather avoid purchasing a hard drive for this for a few reasons. Those things fail too :) If a disk fails I'm only out that amount of gigs, if a hd fails I'm out a lot more data.

I always do a verification after I burn, all of these DL have passed verification if they got that far. I have seen verification fail a few times with this burner on SL disks, so I think verification actually does something other than take up time :)
Great practice!
... hard drives ..Those things fail too :) If a disk fails I'm only out that amount of gigs, if a hd fails I'm out a lot more data.
Multiple copies is great; multiple media types (especially portable) is also good practice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back