Buying environmentally sound products

Jskid

When I was reading the specs for this monitor I got the feeling they where missleading about the environmental impact. For example, the monitor makes a point of being mercury free, but aren't all monitors mercury free? It also states that it's made "with 50% less hazardous materials." Isn't that bad to have any hazardous materials at all or is it common?

Another example is this one with there "Green Technologies". Who knows what that means?

Is there an actual question in there somewhere?

"50% less hazardous materials" than what?

A CRT is loaded with lead since the high voltage required generates X-Rays. So, there's less lead in an LCD.

Every time you throw away an alkaline battery, you put mercury back into the environment.

Half the time, in relation to monitors, the "energy saving" BS, is just by virtue of the fact these "eco friendly" products don't have bright enough back lights.

No to mention that wholesale users of tech products need to clean up their environmental impact act big time, before the advertisers start laying a guilt trip on individuals to coerce them into buying substandard performing products, for above standard prices.

I guess what I'm asking is what are things I should look for when buying a monitor to minimize its environmental impact?

Back