Buying New GFX and PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy06shake

I am about to upgrade to a new GFX card and PSU next month due to experiencing temperature and power related issues with my existing GFX card(ASUS EN9600GT 512Mb DDR3) and PSU(Trust 570W Pro Duel Fan PSU). My budget for both PSU and GFX card is £250-£300. I use my PC mainly for gaming and have a duel monitor setup. Can anyone recomend a sutable GFX Card and PSU in or around my price range please? My specs E8500, P5N32E-SLI, 4Gb DDR2.

experiencing temperature and power related issues with my existing GFX card(ASUS EN9600GT 512Mb DDR3) and PSU(Trust 570W Pro Duel Fan PSU)
Strange, but are you happy with the performance??

Maybe use an AE430w, or AE500 instead of the AE650w power supply, though the 9600 is a decent card, your not going to see much improvements. I think it best to just fix up your 9600.

Thats more like it! Your da man Rage_3K_Moiz, think ile be gettn those items. If i get 2 GTX 275s will i need a bigger PSU than the one you quoted?

One other thing, the PSU i have right now and the one you recomended has a 4 pin connector wired to the/my motherboard(Asus P5N32-E SLI) and it works fine. But the board supports an 8 pin connector . Should i not buy a PSU that supports the full 8 pin rather than buying another 4 pin PSU? Why is this anyway?

The extra 4 pins on the 8 pin connector are so that the motherboard can handle a Core 2 extreme which requires 150w. The regular core 2 quad draws 95w and the duos 65w. A normal 4 pin connector provides sufficient power for a quad or duo so the 8 pin connector will not benefit you unless you plan to run a core 2 extreme; although there is no harm in using an 8 pin connector if the CPU doesn't require it (it's just not necessary).

Both of the PSU's recommended in the previous posts have 8 pin connectors (in the case of the corsair it is a 4+4 which has two 4 pin connectors that can snap together forming an 8 pin connector). And both of those PSUs are excellent choices from respectable companies so I would reccomend getting whichever one you can find cheaper.

Thats more like it! Your da man Rage_3K_Moiz, think ile be gettn those items. If i get 2 GTX 275s will i need a bigger PSU than the one you quoted?
Expect a major boost in performance, courtesy of the video card. Since your motherboard supports SLI, you can add another one later to boost performance, but you will need a new PSU when you do so, since the current one will likely not be able to properly power two of those cards.
"but you will need a new PSU when you do so, since the current one will likely not be able to properly power two of those cards.".

Yah extreme PSU calcualtor comes up at 602w for 2 GTX 275s in your system I generally like to add about 30% for safety so that comes out to 782W since PSU's generally come in 750 and 850w veriaties I would go with an 850w unit IF you plan to run SLI.
I've been running an Antec TPQ850 This would be an exelent choice,
So would the Corsair 850w

Again It depends on price and avalibility in your area (unfortunately newegg does not deliver to the UK).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back