Buying Windows 7 Ultimate Retail or OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbonniwell

I would like to buy windows 7 ultimate because of the language capability, bells and whistles etc, and 64 bit capability for gaming. I would be upgrading on a system I built last year that has 64 bit capability and currently has Windows XP Home 32 bit.
I see the retail Windows 7 Full version at about $300 at the Egg and OEM (For system builders at $175. I provided a link
I have a feeling I have to buy the Full version. Which should I be purchasing?
Thanks for your help in adviance

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2060350368 1179223972&name=Ultimate

You don't have to buy the full retail version unless you want to move it to another PC later. Technically, when you install the OEM version on your current PC, you can't install it on any other PC later. Otherwise nothing bad will happen if you use the OEM version instead of the full retail version.

I think you can only buy the OEM version with a new computer. You cannot purchase it separatelly.

Disclaimer: Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows

This is what says on your Newegg link. So the OEM is destined to resalers.

You might think that if you take that literally but it is a well known fact that anyone can purchase an OEM version of Windows and install it.

Which should I be purchasing?
nothing bad will happen if you use the OEM version instead of the full retail version.
assembler to provide end user support
it is a well known fact that anyone can purchase an OEM version of Windows and install it.
I'm not going to split hairs on this
But as you have "built" your computer you can certainly purchase OEM
But obviously be aware that MS will not support you fully over the phone or via chat etc
MS will inform you to contact your "end user support", which in this case would be you

So therefore OEM may not be for everyone, as some Users prefer to deal directly with MS as the years go by.
"Retail" would be ideal (except for the cost difference of course). On OEM it comes down to:
1. You built the new computer (I am saying "new" for arguments sake)
2. You support you, on Windows issues (or come to a free forum for help in the future ;))

Get the OEM. Like said above, you technically can't ever run that on another computer, so when your upgraded one needs to be replaced the OS is supposed to die with it. But in reality it simply may not activate online, when that happens you call MS and they'll ask you some yes/no questions and they'll give you an activation code to enter.

I have a question: (Assume that I have OEM Windows 7) What if my computer get virus and malwares and I decide to format Windows 7 ? Do I have to buy product key ? or What if I change motherboad or other components ?

from
neowing.

You get a key with the OEM, so reinstalling won't be an issue.

If you change motherboards you will probably fail activation and have to call them like I said above. If you just change some components you will probably be ok.

To SNGX1275,

What if I...

1) change the motherboard that is the same one with the same bios or different bios.
2) change the motherboard that is completely different one: ex) ASUS- P7P55D-E PRO into ASUS -Maximus III Formula or ASUS product into Gigabyte.

From
neowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back