C:\Windows\system32\services.msc won't open for W7

siegristrm

Ok, so like a *******, I followed the advice from a random website that seemed legit trying to fix a huge Memory issue I was having. This issue stemmed from me monitoring my RAM/CPU usage and RAM was sitting idle at 70+% (with 4GB RAM). And my CPU around 60% or so, which I think I can live with. But the RAM didn't make any sense.

So, I saw this site (can't remember, and have been searching, but can't find it) that told me to stop a bunch of services. It said for those that might not know which are safe to close or not to follow these directions. So I disabled a bunch of services, and I'm assuming one of them was the one that allows you to Install, Use Services, System Restore, System Updates, because now I get a denied response every time I try to start any of those programs.

When I try to open services (and often other Software necessary for your PC to run), I get an error like this.

C:\Windows\system32\services.msc
X C:\Windows\system32\services.msc
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

[ OK ]

Now, I know the easy way to fix this, but I'll lose a lot of games and other downloadable stuff that just takes forever to get back/remember. And I don't have soemthing I can back ALL of it up to. Don't suppose anyone has a simple solution to my problem that won't require me to reinstall W7?

P.S. getting rid of those services DID actually lower my RAM usage to about 50%, but now I can't install any new Software or access important stuff.

This sounds like a Windows 7 Repair is in order but you'll need your Windows 7 disk: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

* Let us know how it went.

I think I had already started a repair (not sure, didn't check the site) before I got this response, but basically just reinstalled W7 (difficult to know exactly what I did cuz its all in japanese). I had my wife translate some of it, and thanks in part to dropbox, I have most my files, and setting setup already. Now I just have to figure out how to navigate through all this japanese to turn it all back into engrish :p

Thank you for the reply, however. This site never fails me :D

Back