TechSpot

Cadmium arsenide behaves just as a 3D version of graphene would

By Shawn Knight
Jun 4, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Scientists and electronics enthusiasts alike have been singing the praises of graphene for years as a viable replacement to today's silicon. But thus far, it's been slow to become a commercial reality due to the fact that it only works...

Read more

2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,519   +2,062

Yeah yeah. I've been reading about graphene as the next big thing for years now. I'll believe when/if I ever see it.

H3llion and Punkid like this.
  3. insect

insect TS Evangelist Posts: 315   +114

Not sure you read the article. The article clearly says that graphene is a 2-d structure only (I.e., carbon atoms laid out on one plane that is 1-atom thick) which makes it hard to work with. Then the article goes on to explain that Cadmium Arsenide forms 3D crystals which are much easier to use and could bring the benefits of graphene (I.e., superconductivity, lower heats, more efficiency) to electronics because of the similar properties the Cadmum Arsenide exhibits.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
    hahahanoobs, spectrenad and stewi0001 like this.
  4. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TS Guru Posts: 306   +63

Though it does contain 2 poisonous chemicals...

5. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,185   +530

so does salt ;P

hahahanoobs, insect and spectrenad like this.
  6. Timonius

Timonius TS Evangelist Posts: 640   +56

Materials engineering is like the Holy Grail of the technology world. Can't wait to see what they'll come up with next.

7. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 1,045   +276