California introduces Right to Repair legislation for the second year in a row

William Gayde

Staff
Why it matters: California is the 20th state to introduce Right to Repair legislation. Its goal is to protect consumers and allow them to repair their own products wherever and however they want. Tech companies have fought hard against these types of laws across the country, but it is likely a losing battle.

Assembly Bill 1163 was introduced by Susan Talamantes Eggman and is currently under consideration. A similar piece of legislation was put forward last year, but Apple hired a team of lobbyists that were able to successfully block it.

As modern technology becomes ever more complex, the repair process is changing as well. Companies are hesitant to provide manuals and parts, and some devices are even programmed to brick themselves if they detect unauthorized repair. Right to Repair legislation is designed to combat this. It requires manufacturers to provide the necessary tools, spare parts, and documentation for consumers or third party repair shops.

Many states already have some form of consumer protection, but manufacturers often exploit loopholes to get out of actually repairing their devices. In California, manufacturers were able to monopolize the repair companies which allowed them to charge huge fees for simple repairs. The new legislation closes this loophole and will allow consumers to choose where they want their device repaired.

Eggman released the following statement to iFixit: "The Right to Repair will provide consumers with the freedom to have their electronic products and appliances fixed by a repair shop or service provider of their choice, creating a competitive market that will be cheaper for consumers and reduce the number of devices thrown in the trash."

If you live in California and support the bill, you can contact your legislators here.

Permalink to story.

California's lawmakers and courts have shown repeatedly that they couldn't care less what voters want. They routinely overrule the will of the people, and they'll do so again at the behest of the 800 lb gorilla in Cupertino.

Another fake, token gesture by the turds in the toilet. The only thing dirtier than East Coast corruption is that scar on the West Coast, about halfway down.

If you're gunna charge me over a grand for your phone, I expect to be able to repair it when the warranty runs out.

California's lawmakers and courts have shown repeatedly that they couldn't care less what voters want. They routinely overrule the will of the people, and they'll do so again at the behest of the 800 lb gorilla in Cupertino.
Another fake, token gesture by the turds in the toilet. The only thing dirtier than East Coast corruption is that scar on the West Coast, about halfway down.
Wow, they try to pass a good law and, can you believe it? Partisan politics is at it again! Let's all hate California for being California even if it means giving up our rights as consumers!

I hate California as much as the next guy but you guys need realize when good legislation is good legislation. Democratic and Republicans are capable of passing good legislation sometimes. After all, a broken clock is still right twice a day ;-)

I own and repair a 40 year old dryer, a 35 year old washing machine, a 28 year old dishwashing machine, a 26 year old station wagon and various stoves, ovens, refrigerators, toasters, computers, clocks, etc. I did buy a 700 watt microwave last year when the magnetron on my 30 year old LG died. Over the years I have saved well over $10k net - and much more if I had replaced rather than repaired. I recommend 'repair' as a hobby to anyone so inclined.

Does it need a 'right to repair' law? Nice idea, but in some cases anti-competitive. If a durable micro-sized product with good recycling characteristics could be made, should we deny it with a 'replaceable battery' requirement? 'Fixit' is great. I'm a believer - but only to the extent that 'repair-ability' is assessed and reported - not that it should be required.

We should let 'sunshine' and the market handle this. You should have the opportunity to buy and use (if only for a short while) a smartphone with an epoxied battery for $1,000 if you so choose. Me, I'll stick with the replaceable battery model for a quarter of the price.

All lawmakers have overruled the will of the people before, and will keep doing so. This isn't exclusive to California.

Wow, they try to pass a good law and, can you believe it? Partisan politics is at it again! Let's all hate California for being California even if it means giving up our rights as consumers!

I hate California as much as the next guy but you guys need realize when good legislation is good legislation. Democratic and Republicans are capable of passing good legislation sometimes. After all, a broken clock is still right twice a day ;-)

Good legislation is irrelevant if it doesn't pass and become law. That's the point here. There is no faith that this legislation is actually being made in good faith. It'll take being passed and in a form that actually helps consumers repair before people are going to give any kudos out for this.

Good legislation is irrelevant if it doesn't pass and become law. That's the point here. There is no faith that this legislation is actually being made in good faith. It'll take being passed and in a form that actually helps consumers repair before people are going to give any kudos out for this.
They aren't asking for kudos, they are making the public aware so they can press politicians in their state to vote for this. And what you said has nothing to do with the above posts hating on this legislation simply because it is in California.

The above posts are dumb as hell because they are willingly fighting against their own consumer best interests "because California". It's like conservatives fighting against Obamacare because Obama. Meanwhile, universal healthcare has it's roots in the Regan administration. It was originally a republican idea. Same with the EPA, which Regan created and conservatives now hate it for some reason.

Being partisan for the sole purpose of being partisan is the dumbest thing in the world. And I'm not just hating on Republicans, democrates do the exact same thing. If not even more so.

Last edited:
If you're gunna charge me over a grand for your phone, I expect to be able to repair it when the warranty runs out.

? this makes no sense. you can repair items out of warranty anytime you want, the manufacturer is taking no responsibility for the repairs. They typically have certified repair shops that can do it, and sometimes you can get cheap aftermarket stuff to repair, but it is at your own risk. The real intent of the law here is to have reasonably priced components available for repairs. I had to get an AC repaired, the cost of the control board was $400, for a $15-30 part. The same goes for phones and such.

The broader issue is what happens when your uncertified repair gets screwed up, and who does the blame fall to. Many modern products like the surface pros use a lot of glue to hold things together, this is not a user-serviceable issue stripping and then re-applying glue. If I wanted my device to be repaired, I would want someone competent to do it.

Then there is the issue of security. If anyone could open a device, strip out parts and go off and running. Well, there goes your identity, your cash, your credit. So some level of restriction is clearly warranted. What level?

The issue of user-serviceable items is more relevant. Batteries die! While I don't think $69 to replace a battery by a certified shop is outrageous, some do. Many think that batteries, and storage should be user-upgradeable. Ram is on the chip, so forget that. Who knows how this effects weight and size and thermal loading.

It would be nice if the author had issued more of a discussion of the issues than a rant

While I haven't read this legislature, these legislature have also included clauses requiring OEMs to provide parts at reasonable cost to the consumers so that they can repair their purchased product on their own.

I'm all for it since OEMs have refused to provide access to those parts to both customers and small mom and pop repair shops.

The problem is that in this day and age, a lot of phones are waterproof and involves lots of glue. To repair those phones, you need the use of a hot plate or some sort of oven to loosen the glue. GregonMaui is totally right on items that are not user-serviceable because of these glue situations (whether for surface devices or for cell phones).

Let's see if Kyle at iFixit can help get this bill passed.

And what you said has nothing to do with the above posts hating on this legislation simply because it is in California.
No one here is hating on the right to repair legislation. This is your fabrication. Nothing in the posts quoted or above yours have anything to do with showing support against the legislation. So I have to question, just what in the world are you referring to?

No one here is hating on the right to repair legislation. This is your fabrication. Nothing in the posts quoted or above yours have anything to do with showing support against the legislation. So I have to question, just what in the world are you referring to?
I quoted them in my first post. Are you reading something different than I am? That is most certainly partisan behavior. Whether they are hating on california, the legislation, idk. All I see is blind hate towards California and it's law makers and by proxy, it's legislation.

Back