Google voices support for Oregon's proposed right-to-repair law

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In context: In a not-so surprising move, Google is backing a new right-to-repair law. The move is part of a continuing erosion of Big Tech's iron fist of proprietary repair and outright opposition to the right-to-repair movement (R2R).

On Thursday, Google published a blog post endorsing a proposed law in Oregon that would force manufacturers to allow customers access to the tools and parts required to fix their devices. Lawmakers modeled the bill after legislation passed in other states like California and New York.

"This legislation represents an inclusive compromise that brings tech companies, small repair companies, environmental leaders and legislators to the table to find common ground and support the repair movement," said Google Devices and Services Director of Operations Steven Nickel.

If passed, DIYers and independent repair shops would have access to tools, parts, instructions, and schematics for various equipment, from phones to computers. It's worth mentioning that Google has sold parts and tools through IFixIt's online store since 2022.

Big Tech has a long history of lobbying against the consumer's right to repair. Only in the last few years have we started seeing companies loosen their grip on the matter. Google, along with other Big Tech firms like Apple, Microsoft, Lenovo, Nokia, Tesla, and others, have recently spun a 180 on the issue of self-repair.

Part of the turnaround has been pressure from lawmakers. However, a bigger push comes from internal activism. Many manufacturers have entered a game of one-upmanship regarding sustainability and environmental-friendliness. Climate change concerns have many companies rushing to be "carbon-neutral" by 20XX.

This race has forced them to rethink their repair policies, as pointed out in a white paper by Google Strategy & Sustainability head Ted Briggs.

"We're now pursuing an ambitious goal of net-zero emissions across our operations and value chain by 2030," wrote Briggs. "To meet this 2030 net-zero goal, our devices must be built to last ... [So] we're working to empower everyone with more repair options to extend the useful lifespan of the hardware technology that has become so important in everyday life."

The paper suggests some common sense approaches lawmakers in Oregon and elsewhere can use to strengthen consumers' right to repair without hampering manufacturer innovation. Briggs says that laws should address "repair outcomes" rather than mandate companies change their designs.

He also suggests that laws or regulations should restrict companies from developing software roadblocks to repair. This comment might have been a retort to Apple famously breaking third-party screen replacements with iOS tweaks.

To be fair, some of Google's biggest rivals have shown a similar pivot in their stance. Apple, which once sued states to block R2R laws, supported California's R2R bill last year. Similarly, Levono pledged to have 80 percent of its devices user-repairable by next year, and Microsoft has begun offering replacement parts for its Surface devices and Xbox controllers.

The only thing left is to get self-repair costs down to a reasonable level. It is still more cost-effective to have Google or Apple do the repair, thanks to sky-high prices on parts and tools.

Image credit: Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

I still don't buy that they're actually embracing R2R. It sounds more like they support it on paper, but make their offerings too expensive to be feasible (while still blocking 3rd party parts).
Yeah, it's more or less a matter of keeping up appearances. Hard to say you are carbon-neutral when you produce 20,000 tons of e-waste each year. Right to repair still has a long long way to go. Right now, companies say they are all for self-repair but then mark their components up so high that it's better to just let them repair it. So, nothing has really changed. You can either pay $200 to have Google fix it or buy the part for $200, the tools for whatever they cost, and supply your own labor.

I still don't buy that they're actually embracing R2R. It sounds more like they support it on paper, but make their offerings too expensive to be feasible (while still blocking 3rd party parts).
Lock third party parts, sell their own at a profit, and make the repairs so hard you'll likely damage something else, and have to buy a new device, which they will happily sell you. R2R gives them a beautiful monopoly market.

They're not. This is simply to take a stab at Apple. What Google is proposing is replacement assemblies as opposed to parts. This means the repair can still cost more than the device is worth, incentivizing people to buy new instead of repairing/replacing what failed. They're no more right to repair than any other major corporation designing around planned obsolescence.

-I think Google also realizes that RTR hurts Apple as the market leader a lot more than it hurts Google with their 30 or so Pixel Phones sold, so its easy to support when it doesn't really have an outsized impact on the company's bottom line but hurts their competitors a lot.

When big tech agrees with the majority it usually means they have something else planned for the future. Implementation of such plans will probably happen when all the hype of R2R has settled down and laws passed. You don't get something for nothing.

Imagine having to fight for "right" to repair, when that is the DEFAULT when you buy a smart device from other companies and countries that would sue you for that.

As opposed to Apple's transparently(and stupidly) inept "gestures" to Right to Repair.

At least Google is being reasonable.

As opposed to Apple's transparently(and stupidly) inept "gestures" to Right to Repair.

At least Google is being reasonable.
Neither are. Though Google might be spiting Apple more by pretending to do so...

Except that Google is actually doing something useful in this area. Apple is not.
If you think Google is doing much of anything useful, then you're buying their PR spin.

Still can't get 3rd party parts/components (not expensive assemblies) for cheaper, as is mentioned in the article:
The only thing left is to get self-repair costs down to a reasonable level. It is still more cost-effective to have Google or Apple do the repair, thanks to sky-high prices on parts and tools.
Let me know when Google allows buying components (or stops barring their manufacturers from selling components) for board-level repair. Then you can say they've actually been useful...

If you think Google is doing much of anything useful, then you're buying their PR spin.
No, I'm looking at history. Google has followed though many more times than they have not. Anyone ignorant to that fact needs a reality adjustment.

Still can't get 3rd party parts/components (not expensive assemblies) for cheaper, as is mentioned in the article:
Let me know when Google allows buying components (or stops barring their manufacturers from selling components) for board-level repair. Then you can say they've actually been useful...
Have you bothered looking on Amazon/Ebay for replacement parts? Go on, go look..

No, I'm looking at history. Google has followed though many more times than they have not. Anyone ignorant to that fact needs a reality adjustment.
Yeah, big corporation doing a 180 on R2R in such a short time. Why wouldn't I believe they're the good guy's now for consumer repair? I must have missed the part where they're doing this in the spirit of R2R 🤦‍♂️

Have you bothered looking on Amazon/Ebay for replacement parts? Go on, go look..
If you think Amazon/Ebay has phone-specific components (not for-parts expensive used phones/boards) for competitive prices, you know nothing about what you're "arguing" about 😂

We're done here. If you're too stubborn to back down and admit Google hasn't done much, I suggest you go and listen to people in the industry before you regurgitate Google/Apple PR back to me again. Louis Rossmann is a great start......

Yeah, big corporation doing a 180 on R2R in such a short time. Why wouldn't I believe they're the good guy's now for consumer repair? I must have missed the part where they're doing this in the spirit of R2R 🤦‍♂️

If you think Amazon/Ebay has phone-specific components (not for-parts expensive used phones/boards) for competitive prices, you know nothing about what you're "arguing" about 😂

We're done here. If you're too stubborn to back down and admit Google hasn't done much, I suggest you go and listen to people in the industry before you regurgitate Google/Apple PR back to me again. Louis Rossmann is a great start......
Oh please. You need to stop with that shtick...

Back