California sends country's strongest right-to-repair bill to governor's desk, mandating...

Daniel Sims

Staff
What just happened? States across the US have passed increasingly ambitious right-to-repair (R2R) laws since late last year. California has historically been a trendsetter on the R2R front, despite not being able to get a law over the finish line. The state's latest legislation finally passed, showing that R2R advocates have gained some traction as manufacturers loosen their grip on parts and repair manuals.

California has become the third US state to pass a right-to-repair bill for consumer electronics. After a unanimous vote in favor, Sacramento lawmakers expect Governor Gavin Newsom to sign the bill into law.

Senate Bill 244 (SB-244) contains more consumer protections than similar laws passed in New York and Minnesota. It stipulates that for electronics costing between $50 and $100, manufacturers must provide consumers and independent repair shops with replacement parts and repair manuals for three years after the initial manufacture date. That timespan extends to seven years for devices costing over $100. Although the law goes into effect on July 1, 2024, it applies retroactively to products manufactured after July 1, 2021.

The law mainly applies to devices like phones, tablets, laptops, and other general-purpose appliances, but not alarm systems or video game consoles. Although manufacturers extracted fewer concessions in California than Minnesota or New York, a few significant ones remain.

First, the bill doesn't require companies to provide instructions for bypassing security measures, which can often prove a significant obstacle to independent repairs. John Deere is notorious for using software locks to force users to spend extra money on first-party maintenance and replacements.

Another caveat to the California bill is that independent repair vendors must disclose when they use refurbished replacement parts or originate components from third-party makers. This condition could affect how companies handle issues such as official repairs or warranties.

These conditions likely led to Apple supporting SB-244 – a surprising outcome given the company's historically fierce opposition to past right-to-repair proposals. However, the Cupertino powerhouse has recently relaxed its opposition to R2R by putting forth independent repair initiatives. It established a self-repair program in the US, which provides parts, tools, and instructions for repairing numerous products from the company. It also expanded that program to Europe last December.

Microsoft is another tech giant recently embracing right-to-repair, selling replacement parts for Surface devices directly to consumers. Last year, Samsung and Google began cooperating with iFixit to enable self-repairs for its Galaxy and Pixel products, respectively.

Permalink to story.

I still don't trust anything R2R that Apple supports publicly.

At this point my thought is that they know that it doesn't matter if it passes, when they serialize every wear/fragile part (requiring you to go through them anyways)...

Makes me laugh that Apple try really hard to look like they're saving the planet and will be "net neutral" by 2030.

Yet they insist on making their products very hard to repair, or very expensive to repair.
Which encourages throwing away your old one and buying a new one.

Although this law is somewhat still new and others already have been doing this previously, I wonder what will happen as companies find out that their profits will drop because people are not buying new phones, devices, etc. will do? Perhaps find loop holes.

I laugh about the number of people that poo-poo everything California does but if you look at their history they are constantly the leader in the nation and more of their idea's are adopted than ignored. Kind of makes you think, eh?

I laugh about the number of people that poo-poo everything California does but if you look at their history they are constantly the leader in the nation and more of their idea's are adopted than ignored. Kind of makes you think, eh?
Yes, California led by making constitutional amendments banning both gay marriage and affirmative action.

It is not thanks to any of these decisions or any recent government. No juggling words please.

Although this law is somewhat still new and others already have been doing this previously, I wonder what will happen as companies find out that their profits will drop because people are not buying new phones, devices, etc. will do? Perhaps find loop holes.
People will buy parts instead, maybe even service - if things are reasonably priced. I'd rather pay $150 for a new battery every 3 or so years to keep my phone going 6 or even 9 years. Innovation has slowed a lot and from a hardware perspective there isn't much reason a 5-10 year old phone can't still be useful today. Now this depends on your usage of course... some people just want the latest and greatest every two years, and that is fine if they want to do that. I, and many, many others; don't.

This is precisely the case. There is no free lunch. Companies need to turn a profit and to combat this, they will just charge more for the product or replacement parts.
Exactly. To be honest, I can already find generic parts compatible with almost any device on the market in the last decade.

If the law requires companies to keep stock of original parts for so long, it is inevitable that the cost will be passed on to customers.

Let's get one thing straight, they don't have to increase costs. Greed is the primary driver of most of these large companies who can take the small hit just fine, if it is even much of a hit at all. Small startups or companies that don't make a lot of profit sure it can affect them more. They can sell parts at retail and cover their production and storage costs after manufacturing. This also gives them more incentive to reuse the same components if they don't need to change, or make new components backwards compatible with older devices.

All this stuff can be done with the consumer in mind, however again greed and even corruption will likely destroy that notion as it typically does. Companies can do this, but most would rather just be lazy and be jerks about it because ultimately they don't give a crap - they got their millions, they got their big fancy houses and yachts and cars and they don't want to give that up to "do the right thing".

This is what capitalism was *supposed* to be about, the consumer is supposed to vote with their wallet, and if a company is clearly greedy then the consumer should be saying "no thanks" and spend their money elsewhere. This is the downfall of modern society, we are collectively stupid.

All of these green initiatives are nice and all, and in theory are a good thing but in practice they almost always fall flat on their face.

Back