TechSpot

Call of Duty 4 - same FPS on low and high res

By KingSingh
Aug 3, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I have been playing Call of Duty 4 for a long time. I used to have a GeForce 7300 which was capable of running the game at low-med settings with reasonably good FPS. The FPS fluctuated between different resolutions, as you'd expect.

I now have a GeForce 7950GT, but I get the same FPS on different resolutions, e.g. 640x480 and 1440x900. I think this indicates a bottleneck, but I'm not sure what is bottlenecking it.

How can I find out what the problem is (or the bottlenecking component)?
    Thanks in advance. ^_^

2. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,601   +110

How much video memory is on the 7300 and 7950?

3. KingSingh

KingSingh TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 19

Both 256MB. The 7300 was GDDR2 I think, and the 7950GT is GDDR3.

4. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,364   +9

sounds like you have vsync on turn it off in the settings menu.

5. KingSingh

It's off.

6. tweakboy

tweakboy TS Maniac Posts: 518

Why so graphics can tear ?

vsync on if you have 0 input lag

look at my sig... gl

7. KingSingh

I presume you don't play any FPS games competitively...

8. SKYSTAR

SKYSTAR TS Enthusiast Posts: 250

in some games the resolution does not have a huge impact on the gaming performance , so you will have the same fps in all resolutions .

9. KingSingh

Read the first post again.

10. nubki11a

nubki11a TS Rookie Posts: 49

KingSingh, I play CoD4 competitively. I don't know what kind of FPS you want to get. 125fps or 250fps are best, so-called sweet spot (it's a bug in the Id Tech 3 engine which let's you jump further etc). I don't know what the problem is with your fps acting like that, even though you switched video cards. I do know, however, how to increase your fps. Navigate to bashandslash(.)com and to Call of Duty 4, and see if you can get an explaination on what a config is (I'm presuming you don't exactly know what it is/does, sorry if u do :p ). Then get one of their configs from the site, or go to cfgfactory(.)com and get one there. This will make the game look ugly as ****, but at least you'll have a high fps :)

11. KingSingh

I also play competitively. I am aware of the engine bugs that allow you to strafe jump further with specific FPS caps. I used to use an edited version of yitch3, and tbh, it was bad, and didn't offer me any more than 5 additional FPS.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.