Call of Duty: Ghosts will look best on PC, Infinity Ward says

Shawn Knight

Staff member

infinity ward call duty -gen call of duty pc playstation 4 ghosts call of duty ghosts xbox one

The PC version of Call of Duty: Ghosts will look better than those released for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Previous PC releases in the franchise from Infinity Ward were created using the same graphics assets as the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions but with Ghosts, the PC is getting its own set of assets.

During a recent interview, the game’s executive producer, Mark Rubin, said the PC version is going to look better than any Call of Duty they’ve ever made on the PC. That’s because the PC version will use higher quality textures than Microsoft and Sony’s upcoming machines. That’s saying a lot as the title already looks rather impressive on next generation consoles based on what we’ve seen thus far.

Such news probably doesn’t come as a surprise to many as PC games have traditionally been able to outperform their console counterparts when properly coded. Earlier consoles were at least partially limited by resolution constraints of televisions but that isn’t as much of an issue now that HDTVs are the norm.

While upcoming consoles are much more powerful compared to the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, they are still little more than highly optimized PCs at their core. That means the hardware will be outdated in a relatively short period of time while PCs enjoy a constant stream of new hardware releases.

Graphics aside, all versions of Ghost should essentially play the same, according to Rubin.

Permalink to story.

I wonder if the zombies mode will be included in COD: Ghosts. It was the only thing I enjoyed playing in any of the recent COD games.

It will look the best on PC and play the worst since they most likely wont let us rent servers to host the game where we want.
Instead the usual BS of getting connected to one server continent wide with massive varying lag times from game to game and utter frustration.

It will look the best on PC and play the worst since they most likely wont let us rent servers to host the game where we want.
Instead the usual BS of getting connected to one server continent wide with massive varying lag times from game to game and utter frustration.

And this is the main reason why I jumped ship to Battlefield Bad Company 2 then later BF3 when it came out.

And this is the main reason why I enjoy MP games on a console (well, my 360); they usually have better infrastructure for it.

I wonder if the zombies mode will be included in COD: Ghosts. It was the only thing I enjoyed playing in any of the recent COD games.
Zombie mode is a Treyarch game mode. Infinity Ward is making Ghosts which means we will get another terrible survival mode that is attempting to compete with Zombies.

Zombie mode is a Treyarch game mode. Infinity Ward is making Ghosts which means we will get another terrible survival mode that is attempting to compete with Zombies.
Ahhh, I didn't realize they had separate development teams working on them. I guess that shows how much I follow COD games. Well, that sucks and I guess I won't be buying COD: Ghosts lol.​

This had better be a large change like the difference between BF3 on xbox and PC. You can throw a prettier looking texture pack on the PC version but it won't make a huge difference unless the graphics engine itself is coded differently...like BF3. I wouldn't rag on CoD as much if the maps weren't the size of a basketball court and the graphics weren't identical between xbox and PC. Maybe Infinity Ward will fix at least one of these.

Wow, So psyched to see whats the deal with this new CoD. I liked playing it with my brothers. But this one seems pretty interesting. I hope it has good Zombie levels.

IW and Sledgehammer are the ones making the CoD without Zombies. The game has to be made by Treyarch to offer zombies. Zombies is part of Treyarch, they are the ones who made zombies for CoD. No other CoD developer can make zombies nor would it do them any good as it would likely be different and it would risk messing up the whole zombie experience if done wrong.

Ghosts, will NOT have zombies, it's being made by IW. I don't know if Sledgehammer is involved with it like they were with MW3 which turned out pretty bad.

If CoD looked better visually than BF4, I still wouldn't buy it, and all I really play are FPS games. Sheeyit, I wouldn't even pirate it.

Update: I haven't given CoD a chance since number 4, so if the multiplayer reviews are good I might buy it. I almost bought the last one but just couldn't do it. The stale visuals were a big part of my decision, but I will admit their are a ton of game modes in this one that might sway me to the dark side. I play a LOT of BF3 (1000 hours), so I could use something fresh.

If CoD looked better visually than BF4, I still wouldn't buy it, and all I really play are FPS games. Sheeyit, I wouldn't even pirate it.
The only community I play CoD on is the xbox and seeing that I'm not getting an Xbox One, there is absolutely no way I'm getting it for consoles or PC. Visuals don't make a game great. I hope Infinity Ward realizes their previous game sucked because it was more of the same for more than JUST graphics. I can see the Ghosts turning into a prettier version of Modern Warfare 3 with no added gameplay value.

And in other news....the sky is blue...
I think the author meant, the game will be properly optimized for PC.
Your going to see games primarily configured or sugar coated, to run on their accompanying consoles with possible features specific to the console version.
This is why Battlefield 4 for PC is a big deal if your a PC enthusiast. Lets make the PS4 and Xbox1 look old before they release :p.

I don't think Mark Rubin's comments are all that stunning. But I may be a little biased. I learned earlier this week that a dump truck out matches a wheelbarrow in 9 out of 10 comparison tests. My mind was blown.

So our options are outdated blurry graphics, or slightly crisper outdated graphics, ohh the options.

I cant believe anything Activision says anymore about CoD since their last couple of games have just been hey lets just right click copy, paste, then import some different textures. I mean I like treyarchs games because of zombies and I feel they actually try. Infinity ward gave up, it was clear with MW3, I wont be buying this game unless I see something special.

If they used a modern engine and the game didnt look so similar to MW3, I would give cod another shot. Too bad they are still using an ancient engine. I dont get it though. If this game is built for PC, then why does Xbox get the DLCs and updates first still.

If they used a modern engine and the game didnt look so similar to MW3, I would give cod another shot. Too bad they are still using an ancient engine. I dont get it though. If this game is built for PC, then why does Xbox get the DLCs and updates first still.
Dead on on that call, the engine never changes, they make claims that aren't true, and then pretend they have created an amazing game when they are still riding on the popularity of CoD4: Modern Warfare. If this game sells like the others have sold again, I will have lost faith in the gaming community because we need to send a message to game companies that being lazy like Infinity Ward is will not be tolerated or we end of with the same game year after year.

Dead on on that call, the engine never changes, they make claims that aren't true, and then pretend they have created an amazing game when they are still riding on the popularity of CoD4: Modern Warfare. If this game sells like the others have sold again, I will have lost faith in the gaming community because we need to send a message to game companies that being lazy like Infinity Ward is will not be tolerated or we end of with the same game year after year.

So true. Every single CoD has been practically the same game since CoD4. They recycle a lot of missions and ideas with only minor graphical enhancements.

So true. Every single CoD has been practically the same game since CoD4. They recycle a lot of missions and ideas with only minor graphical enhancements.
Yeah, it pisses me off when a game company makes that much money and people gobble up this game series when a game with actual effort put into it does not make nearly as much money. Now I do like Treyarchs take on CoD mostly because they change things up and are creative what with zombies and stuff, but its annoying when a game just feels like a full priced expansion each year your forced to buy if you want to keep playing. Remember, they totally cut off support for the previous game once the new one comes out so then its filled with hackers and all kinds of broken gameplay mechanics/glitches or whatever making it virtually unplayable unless you hack.

I loved CoD: WaW as one of my two favorite world war 2 shooters ever and I constantly enjoyed playing the regular multiplayer on it up till they realised the Broken mess MW2. It became horrid except in the zombies mode which was all that I could ever get into without too many problems/hackers. Then Black Ops came out and World at War was just a completely unplayable mess.

Back