PlayStation 5 sales decimated Xbox last year; Hogwarts Legacy took Call of Duty's best-selling-game...

midian182

Staff member
In brief: For the first time since Rock Band managed it in 2008, a game that wasn't from the Call of Duty franchise or Rockstar was the year's biggest game in the US. You might think Baldur's Gate 3 or Alan Wake 2 topped the table, but 2023's most successful title in terms of dollar sales was Hogwarts Legacy.

Industry-tracking group Circana's latest figures show that US spending on games recovered last year following a 5% decline in 2022. It should come as no surprise that Call of Duty was 2023's best-selling franchise (excluding add-on content) for the 15th year running. But while Modern Warfare 3 placed second on the top games list and Modern Warfare 2 was seventh, Hogwarts Legacy was number one.

Call of Duty games have topped this chart since 2009, with the only exceptions being Grand Theft Auto V in 2013 and Red Dead Redemption 2 in 2018. It was reported last month that Hogwarts Legacy was on track to break the cycle, and now it's been confirmed.

Looking at the industry as a whole, US spending on games increased 1% last year to $57.2 billion, though December saw total spending up 4% YoY to $7.9 billion.

Software, add-ons and subscriptions were up 1% to $48 billion in 2023, while accessory sales jumped 4% to $2.6 billion thanks to a 7% rise in gamepad sales led by the year's biggest earner in this category, the PS5 DualSense Edge. Hardware sales, meanwhile, were down a fraction of a percent to $6.59 billion.

The PlayStation 5 took the crown as the best-selling platform of the year in terms of both dollar sales and units. The Nintendo Switch was second, and the Xbox Series X/S third. Sony's dollar sales grew across the year as the Xbox Series X/S and Switch experienced declines.

Despite the Xbox Series X's unit sales reaching a lifetime high in the US during December following its $150 price cut during the holiday season, the PlayStation 5 was still the month's best-selling console with record dollar sales. Microsoft couldn't even capture second place, which was taken by the Switch.

The Xbox lagging behind its rivals comes as no surprise. We heard in November that the PS5 was outperforming the Series X and S in most of Europe, with sales of Sony's machine growing as the Xbox consoles' sales declined 52%. What's interesting is that Microsoft keeps talking about becoming a multi-platform publisher and dropping Xbox-exclusive games, which would likely lessen its machines' appeal in the eyes of many potential buyers.

Permalink to story.

We must stop Microsoft from buying Activision! They OBLITERATE the market!!
Being bad at making games is not a free card to getting more market.
We already have category 'gamepass games' - worse quality, less budget, more MTs.
Yes, this is very bad for the market.

Remember everyone: "MiCroSoFt DoN't CaRe AbouT HaRdWarE SaLeS"...
What's interesting is that Microsoft keeps talking about becoming a multi-platform publisher and dropping Xbox-exclusive games, which would likely lessen its machines' appeal in the eyes of many potential buyers.
No this is Microsoft admitting that hardware sales DO matter, it sells games...
When you're not selling much hardware but you've just spent fortunes on making games, you need to be able to sell them somewhere.

Microsoft won't admit it but they don't actually like PC gaming, they don't make a licensing cut like they do with consoles. If only you could visit an alternate reality where the Xbox One wasn't the worst thing and Microsoft managed to keep the momentum the 360 created, I bet they'd still be releasing Halo exclusively on console...

Cod runs so much better than hogwarts cash grab.
Warner Brothers don't give a **** about their own game. That game barely runs.
RDR2 also lost goty to God of War back in 2018. The open dynamic world with original characters masterpiece lost to a mfn linear console exclusive. Gamers are fkn stupid.

The Hogwarts game was great fun. I hope the diverse new characters in the game were a stinging poke in the eye to the TERF Rowling.

Being bad at making games is not a free card to getting more market.
We already have category 'gamepass games' - worse quality, less budget, more MTs.
Yes, this is very bad for the market.
Newsflash! Most games are not made by Microsoft/Sony on their own platforms. Spouting random false equivalencies doesn't make you sound smart, it just shows you're a fanboy and trying to explain away Sony's ridiculous tactics. When Sony buys other studios or pays off studios to make their games PS exclusive it's a perfectly normal thing and part of business. If someone else, say MS tries to do anything similar they immediately cry foul and act like the sky is falling and it's the end of consoles as we know it. But sure, let's just chalk up Sony's horrid behavior to MS making bad games.

I shall quote a gamer:

Pot... Meet Kettle...
What? Cause I think one cash grab is better than the other?
I get cod free every year, I paid for Hogwash, thinking maybe they'd patch some of the unreasonably poor performance areas. Nope. Just took the money and ran and blame UE4. I can at least expect proper performance from cod, year in and year out. Hogwash should've been polished off with all that money made on it. If they make a sequel I'll definitely pass until it's $5 on sale. I'm a gamer and that was a fkn stupid decision buying Hogwash knowing it wasn't right yet.
I've bought one skin since warzone came out, in any game. I try not to buy games cause I know I don't have time to play everything that looks cool. Hogwash is the worst performing game I've paid for in years. Pre-ordered CP2077, launch was pitiful, game plays incredible now.

What? Cause I think one cash grab is better than the other?
They are both cash grabs… just as bad as each other…
I'm a gamer and that was a fkn stupid decision buying Hogwash knowing it wasn't right yet.
Hogwash is the worst performing game I've paid for in years. Pre-ordered CP2077, launch was pitiful, game plays incredible now.
So it’s fine for Cyberpunk to take a few years to be patched, but it’s not ok for Hogwarts to do the same in less than a year?
Pot... Meet Kettle...

Cod runs so much better than hogwarts cash grab.
Warner Brothers don't give a **** about their own game. That game barely runs.
RDR2 also lost goty to God of War back in 2018. The open dynamic world with original characters masterpiece lost to a mfn linear console exclusive. Gamers are fkn stupid.

Just because people don't share the same taste as you doesn't automatically means they're stupid.

Last edited:
They are both cash grabs… just as bad as each other…

So it’s fine for Cyberpunk to take a few years to be patched, but it’s not ok for Hogwarts to do the same in less than a year?
I don't think you read what I wrote but whatever.
You really think Hogwash is getting another update.. guess what it's not. They're totally done with that heaping pile. The last patch was over 8 months ago, 5 months after initial release. Hell that game was more of a straight up rug pull than cash grab.

They aren't even close to being as bad as each other. Hogwash is straight up janky and abandoned. Concept was cool, polish was bad.
First time I saw anyone mention CoD and cash-grab in the same sentence, and cash-grab wasn't referring to CoD. This is amazing.

That is because...

I agree
Kinda hard to believe there's worse than cod right? Get over it and yourself.

Nothing inherently wrong with what CoD does. It gets a major refresh year after year. It's an update to a concept. Nobody else is bringing to the table what CoD brings every single year.

I don't think you read what I wrote but whatever.
You really think Hogwash is getting another update.. guess what it's not. They're totally done with that heaping pile. The last patch was over 8 months ago, 5 months after initial release. Hell that game was more of a straight up rug pull than cash grab.

They aren't even close to being as bad as each other. Hogwash is straight up janky and abandoned. Concept was cool, polish was bad.

Kinda hard to believe there's worse than cod right? Get over it and yourself.

Nothing inherently wrong with what CoD does. It gets a major refresh year after year. It's an update to a concept. Nobody else is bringing to the table what CoD brings every single year.
Major refresh? LMAO! You're paying for the same game year after year. Yearly CoD realises are so different they could be a patch.

Major refresh? LMAO! You're paying for the same game year after year. Yearly CoD realises are so different they could be a patch.
Name a single company putting out DLC the size of a single recent cod game.. I'll wait.. think about that... then call it a patch again and look yourself in the mirror and tell yourself it's just a patch and that people take you seriously.

You missed the part I get it for free.

Name a single company putting out DLC the size of a single recent cod game.. I'll wait.. think about that... then call it a patch again and look yourself in the mirror and tell yourself it's just a patch and that people take you seriously.

You missed the part I get it for free.
Sorry, what DLC are you talking about? I hope it's not what I think it is.

And it's good that you got it for free because that's exactly how much it's worth.

I said it on the Switch 2 article.

Microsoft can make great hardware , but they are like a better version of google for selling it . That is not saying much
Windows phones - needed 3 billion plus to bring great games to platform and apps
Xbox - hardly advertise it in my country-sell it as you can play PC games on a console
Microsoft needed to make the Xbox "fun" . great for any family - they have never push the family IP games to any meaningful extend

Xbox needs nostalgia IP games for families . PS and Nintendo do

People were raving about specs at ps5 vs xbox whatever

Sony sells an imagine , like apple , nintendo , Xbox sells specs

With sony they emphasised you can play movies the full package

Xbox needs a rebranding , a new marketing team , and need cool family IPs front and foremost

A simple question for everyone here - You have 2 children 5 and 7 , why would you buy an Xbox??

Yes I get you are 23 , your friends are 23 you all get game pass and play together , But most of the sales are to parents I would assume

Sorry, what DLC are you talking about? I hope it's not what I think it is.

And it's good that you got it for free because that's exactly how much it's worth.
You called cod releases a patch. Name a single game putting a patch out as significant as each cod release.. you can't.. you can hardly follow what I wrote.. nobody knows what DLC you're thinking about..

You called cod releases a patch. Name a single game putting a patch out as significant as each cod release.. you can't.. you can hardly follow what I wrote.. nobody knows what DLC you're thinking about..
Any patch ever? Just pick one! They take 6 turn it around and you think it's a 9. Many games out there are getting patches that over time change the meta of the game completely and they don't have to pretend every year that it's a new game.

Ask yourself, does CoD need a yearly release? Are the changes so big that it must be a new game? The answer is no because most people can't even tell between different versions of the game. So why do they do it then? Because:
Skjorn said
Gamers are fkn stupid.

I enjoyed the harry potter game. I put like 70 hours in it on PC and beat it. It was pleasant, stable and bug free (and I dont even like harry potter). I dont see how anyone can call it scam while defending CoD. Thats just pure exposing yourself and your agenda, its also hilarious someone defending the crap that CoD has become.

As far as xbox sales, well duh, if you have a pc you are not buying an xbox because everything is available on PC. Where as thats not true with PS (although its becoming more of a reality, its not quite yet). Its obvious to me why xbox isnt selling as many consoles. Us PC users wont buy one but we will a PS5 or switch.

Back