Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is being rebooted with cross-play support, other major changes

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In context: Reboots have found a ton of success as of late - just look at Doom and Tomb Raider. By revisiting one of the better entries in the Call of Duty franchises, Activision and Infinity Ward get to put existing storylines to rest and build characters around modern conflicts.

Infinity Ward is rebooting a fan favorite with this year’s entry in the Call of Duty franchise, electing to put a dark spin on 2007’s beloved Modern Warfare.

The all-new title, due out on October 25 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC, will again feature a single-player campaign as well as the familiar multiplayer aspect. It’ll also headline with two important steps that Patrick Kelly, creative director and co-studio head of Infinity Ward, said will unite the community.

Modern Warfare will allow console and PC gamers to co-exist through cross-play support. What’s more, Activision is eliminating the traditional season pass, a step that will allow the devs to deliver more free maps, content and post-launch events to all players.

The latter is arguably the more compelling development as it almost certainly spells the end of console exclusive DLC deals. That’s great news for gamers and does indeed accomplish the goal of unifying the community as DLC exclusivity will no longer fragment gamers.

Modern Warfare additionally utilizes a new engine that’s said to deliver an immersive and photorealistic experience.

The new technology utilizes the latest advancements in visual engineering, including a physically-based material system allowing for state of the art photogrammetry, a new hybrid tile based streaming system, new PBR decal rendering system, world volumetric lighting, 4K HDR, DirectX Raytracing (PC) and more as well as a new GPU geometry pipeline.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is available to pre-order as of writing starting at $59.99.

Permalink to story.

I can't believe they changing the engine, I may buy it, I always liked their single player campaigns but stopped buying them due to the graphics being terrible :)

Well, they do still have the single player game so I'll give it a serious look but the idea of ANYONE out on patrol smoking a cigar is beyond stupid! When I was training snipers our favorite target was anyone smoking a cigarette .... a little inhale and you have a great sight picture, even at 1000 meters .... LOL

I might jump on the bandwagon, granted MW2 is my favorite, but MW1 was still a worthy game that deserved its hype when it released back in the day.

The PC population leaving to other games was pretty much what made me stop playing, maybe this one will stick around for a while.

Well, they do still have the single player game so I'll give it a serious look but the idea of ANYONE out on patrol smoking a cigar is beyond stupid! When I was training snipers our favorite target was anyone smoking a cigarette .... a little inhale and you have a great sight picture, even at 1000 meters .... LOL

That and uncovered wrist watch faces that reflect sunlight/moonlight.

I'm a 20-year Infantry vet with 5 combat tours under my belt. Showing someone smoking a cigar while out on patrol is asinine. I get Infinity Ward is trying to make the guy look like a badass. But got news for them - if I had anyone in my unit do that, I'd shoot them myself.

Yeah I may honestly get this only because of the crossplay and I'd absolutely pick PC. I always support crossplay and no season pass also sounds nice.

COD2 deserves a remaster. The single player in that game was so good.

I had played lots of WW2 shooters before but that was the title that I felt gave me a real feel of the sheer chaos and intensity of war at various points.

My only worry although I will probably stay in BO4 is aim assist. BO3 was spoiled by controller users having aim assist and if MW has cross play, its guaranteed the console players will have aim assist. Yes a Pro player with mouse and keyboard will beat a pro player with aim assist but an above average console player with aim assist will beat all but the very best non pros with mouse and keyboard especially when you they are fast sniping, aim assist just makes it so easy.

My only worry although I will probably stay in BO4 is aim assist. BO3 was spoiled by controller users having aim assist and if MW has cross play, its guaranteed the console players will have aim assist. Yes a Pro player with mouse and keyboard will beat a pro player with aim assist but an above average console player with aim assist will beat all but the very best non pros with mouse and keyboard especially when you they are fast sniping, aim assist just makes it so easy.

Pretty much all console CoDs have had some form of aim assist, but trust me when I say, speaking as someone whos played both on console and PC, that PCs will wreck with or without aim assist.

Pretty much all console CoDs have had some form of aim assist, but trust me when I say, speaking as someone whos played both on console and PC, that PCs will wreck with or without aim assist.

This is the best argument to not enable cross play between pc and consoles, unless you enjoy stealing lollipops...

This is the best argument to not enable cross play between pc and consoles, unless you enjoy stealing lollipops...

Counter argument: Allow console gamers to use KB/M in all titles. Consoles are basically just PCs running stripped down OSs and offering less input options.

I don't get this game. Is this another COD4 remake or an entirely new game? Any ways, Cross platform is awesome. They will get my money again. The only thing to top this would be a multiplayer (4 or more) campaign co-op. Yes, full campaign too, not just some "mode" or "missions." Some of us actually have friends and/or family to play with.

Back