Call of Duty XP convention kicks off in Los Angeles

Shawn Knight

Staff member

As one of the hottest first-person shooter franchises in modern history, Call of Duty is giving back to the gaming community this weekend in Los Angeles. The two-day event is called Call of Duty XP and upwards of 6,000 people are expected to attend the affair headlined by performances from Dropkick Murphys and Kanye West.

The 24-hour long event gets under way today at 10am local time and runs for 12 hours, with the process being repeated again on Saturday. Fans of the series will have the opportunity to play Modern Warfare 3’s multiplayer mode a full two months ahead of launch as well as participate in a host of COD-related live events, such as playing paintball in a real-world recreation of Modern Warfare 2’s Scrapyard map and chowing down at Burger Town.

There is also a four-player, 32 team multiplayer tournament with a total of $1 million in cash and prizes up for grabs. All but four slots have been prefilled for the tournament, but if you don’t make it into the big show, there are still plenty of other prizes to be won via smaller multiplayer challenges.

Tickets for the two-day event are $150 which includes a copy of Modern Warfare 3 Hardened Edition when it's released. All attendees must be 18 years of age or older. 100 percent of ticket sales go to the Call of Duty Endowment fund, a non-profit organization that helps veterans find work and establish a career as they transition back to civilian life.

Do you plan on attending or know anyone that is? Two of my friends put together last-minute plans and flew cross-country for the event. If you can't make it out like me, you can watch the events as they happen via Livestream.

Permalink to story.

i wonder how long they're gonna ride this call of duty thing.

i may be the only one who still thinks that's still the same old call of duty back from 2001. it feels the same, plays the same, even all the sound and animation walk cycles are the same. heck they just pull it out of their library every year, re-skin the characters and slap on $60 price tag and call it a day.

howzz1854 said:

i may be the only one who still thinks that's still the same old call of duty back from 2001. it feels the same, plays the same, even all the sound and animation walk cycles are the same. heck they just pull it out of their library every year, re-skin the characters and slap on $60 price tag and call it a day.

Guess if the fanbase and hype is strong and the game is profitable then there will be COD. All hipsters from my school play COD on their xbox and ps3 lol... You say Counter Strike? They start flame war 2011! You say Battlefield? They nod and hate.

But I love the COD's single player story although its way too cheesy lol :p

I played COD: Black Ops on the "free weekend" on Steam this weekend, and the game isn't *that* bad. The problem is what howzz1854 said, they simply re-skin it and call it a day. They are just milking the series and that is what is ruining it, they need to put at least 2 years of development into each COD game and it would be a lot better. It's very much a arcade style game and there is no way it's worth $60 and the $15 map packs are even worse. MW3 should be $40 at launch and map packs should be $5. Then I would buy it.

The one thing I do appreciate about Activision though, is that they are playing very nice with Steam. Meanwhile EA is just pissing me off left and right.

They wont change it tomuch on the risk of not making as much money, the only time it will change is when they start losing money and they will make a big thing about a small feature change and bam money starts rolling back in

Activision will continue to keep the franchise going for as long as Call of Duty games continue to enjoy good sales. Whatever one may think of Activision, I think that setting up a fund to help our military veterans is a nice way of giving back to the community.

"All attendees must be 18 years of age or older." Well... 75% of CoD players aren't going to be happy XD

howzz1854 said:

I can't understand why a handful of people are saying it's the same old thing...well if u all find u can create a better game dats not the same old thing join infinity Ward or activision and tell them how the games are supposed to be..and see if it won't be only the same handful of folks that agree with you playing it only instead of the millions....You all need to acknowledge the amount of work it takes to create games like actual movies..Each new COD i play i feel like i am in a movie scene and the graphics r so intense....I think the folks that claim it's the same ole thing definitely are offended by some statement or act in the game that's why they try to make the game look silly..If u are offended by something in it don't play..During gameplay u are asked dat option if u wanna proceed or not.,.....

Back