TechSpot

Can a standard RCA cable carry S/PDIF?

By crew_dawg16
Nov 7, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well, can a standard RCA cable carry the digital signal from S/PDIF from my computer to my receiver?
  2. Sharkfood

Sharkfood TS Guru Posts: 1,198

Yes and No.

SPDIF is a 75ohm signal. Not just any generic RCA cable will be able to correctly carry such a signal.

Shorter, higher quality RCA cables designed for video can sometimes "pull this off", but it's just because the shorter link length or higher quality can carry a 75ohm signal.

RCA only specifies the connector, by the way. So there are indeed "RCA" cables designed for SPDIF signal- they are just designed with higher quality conductor able to carry a 75ohm signal reliably. Most generic, cheap, audio RCA cables- no way. Might work for testing purposes, but I wouldn't recommend for permanent use. Get a good quality, 75ohm rated, shielded RCA to RCA cable designed for SPDIF.
  3. crew_dawg16

crew_dawg16 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 19

Ok, so I won't get good sound quality out of it, but I can use it to test the connection.

Got it.

Thanks!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.