Can anyone help me with my WMP problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluebirdBooks

Hello,

My daughter's fiancee helped me overcome a sound problem when playing
DVDs on my Windows XP/Compaq V5000 laptop. He was able to get
DVDs to play with quality sound; but now no other media will play with
WMP (CDs, movie clips, internet radio stations, sound bites, etc.).
iTunes and Real based media seem to play just
fine. I know he was fiddling around with Codec, drivers, and latest version
of WMP. When I try to play something, I get error code C00D11B1. I have gone
down the checklist provided by Windows but all seems in order. Internet radio
returns message, "This media appears to be unavailable...do
you wish to attempt to reconnect?"
Anyone out there have a clue what is going on here?

Thanks in advance...btw, I am not very good with technical terminology, etc.

best,
Eric M

Have you tried just uninstalling the WMP from Add/Remove Programs, rebooting and getting a FRESH download and installing again?

sounds like the other media are not file associated with the player. right click on the type of item you with to play, and then associate it with WMP.

I uninstalled WMP 11 but...

...system took me to an earlier version (WMP 10); then I rebooted; still doesn't work but I am getting a new error message:

"the specified module could not be found" "click here for webhelp>Windows Media Player Error Message Help

You've encountered error message 8007007E while using Windows Media Player. Additional information is not currently available for this error."

Seems to be getting worse.

thanks,
Eric M.

An item was in Add/Remove Programs named something like 'Windows Media Player Replacement' this replaces removed versions with the previous version.' I uninstalled that (I think); then downloaded WMP 10 from the link provided. Unfortunately, I'm getting the same message and error code ("the specified module could not be found" "click here for webhelp>Windows Media Player Error Message Help>You've encountered error message 8007007E while using Windows Media Player. Additional information is not currently available for this error.")

thanks,
Eric M.

Microsoft says: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/mediaadvice/0061.mspx

"Why do I get error 8007007E ("The specified module could not be found") when I use the Player?

Windows Media Player relies on separate software components to perform various functions (for example, to play DVDs, it requires that separate DVD-decoder software be installed, and to burn CDs, the current drivers for your CD burner must be installed). This error tells you that the Player is trying access a module (a .dll file) for one of these components, and it's either not registered, damaged, or missing. Because it can be difficult to identify the exact component that is causing the error, we recommend that you contact a Microsoft technical support professional to help you correct the problem. To contact a support professional, see the Microsoft Help and Support Web page."

From this I get that you are missing needed resources due to 'he was fiddling around with Codec, drivers'.

Were I you, I would copy off whatever I valued and do a nice, clean re-install. Starting fresh is a whole lot easier than hunting rhough the myriad issues with codec packages and non-windows drivers.

CCT:
Thanks a million for taking so much time on my issue, I appreciate it.
You said: "Were I you, I would copy off whatever I valued and do a nice, clean re-install. Starting fresh is a whole lot easier than hunting through the myriad issues with codec packages and non-windows drivers."
I am totally in agreement with what you said. But, what to uninstall? I have scrolled through "Add/Remove" and see nothing there that says "Codec" or some such. Lots of audio or video related stuff there though (itunes, Conexant AC-Link Audio, Sonic Audio Module, etc.) There is nothing there labeled "Windows Media Player" either, even though I reinstalled WMP10 (maybe it is hidden inside a Microsoft file). So my question is, how would someone do a complete reinstall? I've already tried an install of WMP10 over the top of whatever might have been on the hard drive.

thanks,
Eric M.

I meant your whole operating system!

Since you have a Compaq, you need to find out if it has a restore partition or restore disk(s) or what. Consult your manual.

If in real doubt here, call a reputable shop (not your daughter's fiancee) and explain the problem and get a ballpark quote.

CCT: Just wanted to get a belated reply to you that I hired a local guy who came to the same conclusion as you did remotely: he talked me into a full reformat of my hard drive. I didn't feel I had the expertise to do this; so I had it done; and it was the answer to my problem. Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back