Can connect to wired but not wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new router today . TP -LINK TL-WR740N
It's a wireless router which i have to connect my ethernet wire from my adsl modem ethernet port to the WAN port of this router. I configured this router using my sister's laptop. Then, i successfully configured it and i can use wireless via my laptop . But my sister's laptop cannot use wireless. It can find the wireless connection and can connect.
For a minute it will say limited connectivity and then it will say connected with excellent signal. But she cannot browse any website and even the web management of the router. Miraculously , when she connects the ethernet wire from the router to her laptop's ethernet port, she can browse internet finely. Which means, the router doesnt have problem because my sister's laptop can access wired connection via it and i can access both wired and wireless connection via it. my sister is using Windows xp and i have tried to clear the ip add at ipv4 and also set a ip.
I have also tried to check whether there is any proxy, but all is fine. So, im totally clueless. I even disabled the LAN port and still it does not work. I have also disabled and enabled the wireless and restarted the computer. I thought maybe the firewall is having problem, but i cannt access the windows firewall . It says "due to unidentified problem, windows cannot display windows firewall settings"
i copy and paste the command prompt when i entered ipconfig/all

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

E:\Documents and Settings\admin>IPCONFIG/ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : admin-2fa102e1f
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5006X Wireless Network
pter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-63-CB-44-9A
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, June 13, 2010 7:35:47 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, June 13, 2010 9:35:47 PM

The only major difference that i see from my laptop's with my sister's laptop is the node type. Thank You so much!

I would first totally remove the install on her computer, then re-boot and reinstall... watching carefully for error messages that only flash briefly.

1. This is all local IP information (i.e. local to within your own private LAN) so i wouldn't worry about posted the ipconfig data

2. Agree that the first step should be uninstall/reinstall the wireless driver. First, locate/download the WLAN installation file. Then check Add/Remove programs to see if any wireless programs are there. Uninstall from there first. Then check Device Mgr, and if wireless device still listed, rt click to Uninstall. Now reinstall.

If problem still persists let us know..and let us know and post your ipconfig data again

I wanted to uninstall and reinstall the driver but i can't find the driver's cd. You see my sister bought the laptop in a pc fair so they don't really give any cd exclusively. I want to try reformatting first. Because about 5 months ago, the wifi on her laptop was working very fine. could that be a malware attack?

Oh god. thanks a lot. I will reinstall it as soon as i'm back to my place. I'm in my college dorm now. Will go back in 3 days. Thanks Guys. Will update soon

MAC Filtering?

I don't know if this will help, but my father-in-law had the same problem, which I tracked down to the router's configuration. The symptoms you describe will occur when IP/MAC filtering is active in the router and the particular network adapter has not been added to the router's allowed list.

Under this scenario and assuming the network SSID and pass-key have been entered correctly the router should recognise the connecting device (e.g. sister's laptop), but it won't be able to connect to the internet (or other devices on the network from memory).

In my own router (under a tab labelled "Advanced => Filters"), there is an option to enable filtering using IP address or MAC address (note that every network adapter has a unique MAC address).

! Use of this option significantly strengthens the network security, The filter system examines data packets and scrutinizes them !
! in order to control network access. If the MAC address contained in the data packet is listed, the rules are used to block (see option 3 below) !
! or allow (see option 2 below) access to the LAN from outside the network and/or to deny/allow access to the WAN from within the network !

Once MAC filtering is selected, you can choose to:

1. Disable MAC filtering
2. Only allow computers with MAC address ......
3. Only deny computers with MAC address ......

I use option 2.

Then I select the 'Clone Addres' button which lists all devices which are connected
(SSID + Pass-key are correct), highlight the address and bingo the device appears in the allowed list.

Admittedly, it's hard to understand how your laptop was registered, but not your sister's, but I offer this in good faith and hope it is of some value to yourself or others.

Yup. I tried it after checking my proxy and ip settings because it was included in the troubleshoot manual that came along with my router. Most probably it's not the router's problem. Will update on this in two days. Thank You Guys.Sheepdog, thank you for your time. :)

E:\Documents and Settings\admin>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : admin-2fa102e1f
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8102E Family PCI-E Fast
thernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-33-8C-98-6C

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8102E Family PCI-E Fast
thernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-33-8C-98-6C

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network A
apter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-63-CB-44-9A
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.102
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, June 19, 2010 2:30:11 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, June 19, 2010 4:30:11 PM

This is after i reinstall. If you see, the adapter name has changed. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back