TechSpot

Can faulty graphics cards be repaired?

By foxdelta
Aug 18, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hi peeps,

My question is: are there any (affordable) ways of repairing faulty graphics cards and if so, is it worth me trying to sell my 2 faulty AGP graphics cards (one is XFX 6600GT 256MB, the other Powercolor ATI X1650 Pro 512MB) on Ebay or Techspot trade/sell area or is it just best for me to recycle them at the local recycle yard? If people are able to repair them, then maybe a re-sell as faulty could rekindle some of my losses?

Many thanks for any responses.

2. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,393   +108

No, as cost wise it's better to replace them. Don't bother selling those on ebay.

3. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,210   +424

I second tipstir's remarks.

4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,703   +1,887

Bench repair costs for electronics must be running close to $50.00 an hour. This is a world of disposable electronics. I think the, "I have to take this to be repaired level" is about a 40" LCD TV these days. Hence, all the "ROHS" notifications at the end of the instruction manual.

5. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 3,435   +145

You can try and bake it.
    I've heard that work...about two times.

6. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

7. hellokitty[hk]

Yes thats what I meant when I said bake it.

8. red1776

well obviously you didn't, I thought you were responding to Cap's comment. well there's an instructional link anyway.

9. captaincranky

Shoud We order Chinese Instead.....?

Oh rats, baked video card for dinner again......:rolleyes:

10. red1776

Thud

"You damn kids don't appreciate anything, in my day all we had was GPU Helper"

11. hellokitty[hk]

I would NOT try this if I were you, more risk than its worth (which is a minuscule chance of repair).
    Or you could try and be cool and go for it while using appropriate caution.

Red1776, If you keep following my posts, you'll get an hour less sleep due to time zone differences ^^.

12. red1776

why?, what zone is OSU in?

13. captaincranky

OK, here's an update, it's already broke, and we were going to throw it away. So what exactly is the necessity of a "risk assessment"? Methinks the worst thing that could happen, is that it would still be broke, and you'd still have to throw it away, after a fun evening of stinking up the f****** house.
    Wrong again, Red is going to sleep just fine tonight. Just ask him, he'll slur you some sort of explanation.

14. hellokitty[hk]

Well, I'd think it would require a warning, because some people need it, even if the majority don't.

Uhh...utah time, mountain time.

15. captaincranky

Face it, if they're that wacky blend of insufferably stupid and brilliantly creative, they'll find another way to burn their house down, without even joining Techspot.

16. red1776

why you sonofa....hyprbtipperkinfroc snic terk......

17. foxdelta

foxdelta TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 22

Baking? Now what an amazing concept! I looked at the link in this thread and I am amazed that this sometimes works!

What the heck, nothing to lose.......keep house well ventilated, dogs outside........foil at the ready.....

I'll let you know the results as I will try this over the weekend.

Thanks for all the hints, tips and advise fellas.