TechSpot

Can going through a router block internet sites?

By biffenbob
Dec 23, 2005
  1. I have 3 computers going through a router to a modem, and my question is can the router block my computers from going to sertain sites? I ask this because for some odd reason all of my computers on this network cannot get to a couple of diffrent websites, such as google and hotmail. If it is the router (which I doubt) how can i fix this? If it isnt, any ideas what it might be?

2. whiternoise

whiternoise TS Rookie Posts: 99

If your router has a built in firewall then you could try disabling it. Also, make sure you have the latest firmware for your router. Check you haven't got some kind of virus/spyware that prevents you from accessing certain websites (though i dont think it's likely). Finally, check your browser compatibility.

3. Spike

Spike TS Rookie Posts: 2,371

IN the UK, this can be caused by an MTU setting that's too high for those using AOL, and possibly others. I don't know if this would be the case for you, but maybe worth checking with your ISP's tech support.

4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Most likely a firmware update for the router would solve the problem.

5. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

Ya I just did that and for- 3 hrs could not get on line
    had to redo upgrade
    now mtu does not work at all???
    upgrades shoulda known better
    as for blocking check your firwall software 2
    do you know how to use the command window and ping

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.