TechSpot

Can I add 1GB stick to three 512MB sticks of RAM?

By Krystianb
Jan 12, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hey guys I have 4 Slots of ram DDR1. 3 of those are filled up with 512mb's If i buy a DDR1 1GB, Would it work? and make it 2.5Gb Ram ?

2. CamaroMullet

CamaroMullet TS Rookie Posts: 93

Technically it should work. Make sure you purchase ram with the same speed/timings though.

3. Krystianb

Krystianb TS Rookie Topic Starter

If the Timing are different would the ram say that its 2.5gig? and just basiccly have no effect?

4. CamaroMullet

Each DDR slot has to run at the same speed. Ideally you want to have the same speed/timings on the RAM you purchase ( brand too ), to avoid problems. If banks 1-3 are DDR333 and you buy DDR400 for the 4th slot, the DDR400 will run at DDR333 speeds ( unless you overclock the DDR333 of course ).

5. Krystianb

Well i have 3 512mb's but the Brands and Speed's are different Does that mean i only have 512? or it still counts as 1.5?

6. CamaroMullet

Check you system properties in the control panel and it will tell you how much ram windows is using. If you aren't having any issues now, my guess would say that it is using all 1.5.

7. Krystianb

Well This is My #3 Slots. Im thinking about buying a 1 Gig DDR but im not sure? so would i buy a 200Mhz or 133? dont even know if they sell them that low. Also Pc3200 ? or ?

#1Type DDR
    Size 512 MBytes
    Manufacturer Samsung
    Max Bandwidth PC3200 (200 MHz)
    SPD Ext. EPP

#2Type DDR
    Size 512 MBytes
    Manufacturer Kingston
    Max Bandwidth PC2100 (133 MHz)
    SPD Ext. EPP

#3Type DDR
    Size 512 MBytes
    Manufacturer Kingston
    Max Bandwidth PC2100 (133 MHz)
    SPD Ext. EPP

8. CamaroMullet

You are bottle necked at PC2100 DDR266. You samsung PC3200 is DDR400.

From newegg: Kingston

Crazy that you can get 8GB's of DDR3 for 90 bucks. But you have to pay more for the old stuff. :|