Can I Connect my old router with with my new Fios modem/router?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please forgive me if this isn't the right area of the forum I should ask this. I'm not really tech savvy when it comes to router stuff, so I'm also going to explain this as best as I can, so sorry if I'm not as thorough as I possibly can be.

I just got Verizon Fios and I'm wondering if I can connect it to my old router. Basically I'm trying to do this because my office is at one area in the house(where the Fios modem is) and on the other side is my media PC and game consoles.

Now I have enough cable to go from point A to point B, but it's only one cable and I have several things I'd like to hook up.

Hopefully someone here can help me because,I don't want to go buy a ton of ethernet cord and I'm not looking to spend any more money buying a wireless bridge.

My old router is a D-Link WBR-2310.

Thanks.

I disabled DHCP in my d-link router and I'm now able to connect to the internet on my PC. I plugged a cable that was in a LAN port on my fios modem/router into a LAN port on my D-Link router then plugged my PC into the D-Link modem.

My only problem is that when I plug in my Xbox 360, It won't connect(It will though if I just plug it right into my Fios modem/router).

Thanks.

You said you plugged your PC into the D-Links modem port. If you meant the WAN port on the D-Link this would be an incorrect setup. The PC should be plugged into a LAN port on the router. The WAN port should be empty.

Also, you'll have to make sure the IP address of your 2nd router (the D-Link) is changed to be on the same sub net as you FIOS router. For example, if the FIOS is 192.168.1.1 then change your D-Link to be 192.168.1.2. Disabling DHCP on the D-Link was the correct thing to do since the FIOS router will provide DHCP for all computers and devices, such as your Xbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back