TechSpot

Can I copy sata raid 0 drives to pata drives?

By cibolo
Mar 9, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a pc that has 2 400g hard drives in raid 0. The motherboard is bad and needs to be replaced. The drives in raid 0 are sata drives; I want to mirror the drives onto 2 400g pata drives before replacing the mobo so in case of disaster I would still have all the info. What would be the best way for me to do this? I have another machine running that has raid capability but is not using it. It has 4 sata connections and 2 ide drive connections, currently only using the 2 ide connections and no raid. I have Partition Magic 8 and Paragon Hard Disk Manager 8 Pro. Is it possible for me to use my current up and running system, and one of the 2 software programs to mirror these drives?
  2. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,658   +82

MOBO is bad and you still want to recover info which might get corrupted in the transfer process.
  3. cibolo

cibolo TS Rookie Topic Starter

That's correct. I would like to copy the drives to my other drives so if the disaster strikes during install of new mobo I will be covered with the data on the second set of drives.
  4. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,658   +82

Is that system on the network or just hook up external drives for backup purpose
  5. cibolo

cibolo TS Rookie Topic Starter

No, it is not on the network. Would it possible for me to hook the 2 raid0 drives to it and copy them to the other 2 pata drives externally?
  6. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

ghost the data or do a windows back up of the important DATA. Your drivers will be different however, but you need to backup your important information data.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.