Can I find out whether or not some other IP address is using my wireless Internet?

secretassasin69

I have an ADSL Sagem ST2504 wireless router and it seems that my neighbour maybe using it.

I currently have it password protected with a TKIP password and i think someone has hacked it and is using it.

Can somebody please help me in how to tell if someone is using it and how i can stop them.

Thanks

You should be able to see which computers are connected to your network from your routers home page... usually 192.168.2.1

RobFM is right, you'd probably be able to see which IP address is using your computer by entering your router's homepage.

This is done by entering some kind of address leading to your router in your browser's address bar. But the address may vary depending on model (I couldn't find your model on Google).

The addresses may for instance be:

or sometimes simply:
routerlogin.net

The addresses are usually generalized - manufacturers usually stick to one address for their router-login. I myself use a Netgear router, and my login-address is routerlogin.net. But my father has a Thomson router, and his login-address is 192.168.1.2. The address for accessing your router's login page should be available online somewhere (manual for the win!).

You will be prompted with a username and a password. In (almost) all cases, apart from some, the username will be "admin", without the ""-marks, and the password bar will be left blank - or sometimes "password" or "admin", again without ""-marks.

At your router's homepage, you will (under normal circumstances) somewhere be able to see which IP is logged in, and also which IP has logged in previously. If you find anything suspicious, then there are also tools for resetting the router and/or changing the password at this homepage.

each router vendor does this differently, eg my Netgear shows Attached devices using
Main->Maintenance->Attached devices.

*IF* you're really concerned, find if your router supports Mac Address Filtering
Some have a Black/White list capability and you would use the White List (or Allow these addresses) to ensure that ONLY your devices can attach to your router.

The Netgear goes one step further by making a Reserved IP address associate with a specific Mac, giving you the same effect as Static IP address

giving you the same effect as Static IP address

I recently followed a youtube tutorial and i have now got a static IP address for my router does that mean that no other IP address can use my wireless signal.

I checked in cmd recently and it is still DHCP enabled can you tell me how to enable MAC address filtering please.

I recently followed a youtube tutorial and i have now got a static IP address for my router -- does that mean that no other IP address can use my wireless signal.
absolutely NOT.
Just for clarity, every router has two addresses
  1. WAN side: and your ISP will assign that address and it may change, ergo it is seldomly static
  2. Lan side: which is set in the router configuration page and while it may be any valid IP address 255 < x < 0 (ie not 255 and not 0) and this means it IS static
but our systems connected to that router have DHCP assigned or STATIC addresses. Normally we don't need systems with static, but there are places where it is handy, eg a local server or a MAC to IP address reservation.

I checked in cmd recently and it is still DHCP enabled can you tell me how to enable MAC address filtering please.
First, count how many network devices you have and include any printers or NAS devices attached directly to the router - - add two = X

Secondly, restrict the DHCP range of your router X. If the router is a x.x.x.1
and the range is 5, then the DHCP range is set to 100-106. When all devices are active,
the DHCP can not assign any more and thus your router will not accept another new connection.

Third, if you have a WiFi router and use wired connections as well then
  1. use the MAC address mapping to set wired devices 2-6
  2. Let the WiFi devices map addresses from 11-Y
where Y-11 is the number of WiFi devices you want to allow
This results in Wired systems in the range x.2 -> x.6
WiFi devices x.11 -> x.Y
and any rouge devices will always be x.100 -> x.106
and you can ensure these can't access any of your systems by firewall rules
disallowing anything x.100 and up

If your WiFi is properly encrypted, then there will Never be anything at x.100->x.254

Thanks for your help jobeard i have now set up a MAC address allowed list, the problem i had was that i couldn't access the router webpage because the UN and PW didn't seem to be working but it does now.

Also can you tell me whether or not this MAC allowed list can be exploited for internet access.

Thanks

can MAC allowed list can be exploited?
Not by simple means and it would take detail knowledge and a lot of patient to
implement the hack - - less that 1/1000 people would even know how to begin.

I have an ADSL Sagem ST2504 wireless router and it seems that my neighbour maybe using it.

I currently have it password protected with a TKIP password and I think someone has hacked it and is using it.

Can somebody please help me in how to tell if someone is using it and how I can stop them.

Thanks

It is very easy to check, if your neighbor is using your wireless router..Go to your router home page and see the active Ip connections..If you want to check the public Ip address visit Ip-details.com

Back